cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Recovery 2011 not finding internal SATA drives

Richard_Wagstaf
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I suspect I'm missing the obvious here but for the life of me I can't see what!

I have a Dell T100 server with a 250gb drive connected directly to the motherboard - no raid is involved here.  My plan is to pop in a 500gb drive.

I have run System Recovery to create an image of the 250gb drive but when I install the 500gb drive and boot from System Recovery disk the 500gb drive is not seen although the USB drives are listed.

This is what I've tried:

If I boot from a Windows 7 install disk the drive is recognised as a drive to install from.

If I try another SATA drive System Recovery still can't see the drive.

I've re-downloaded the boot image from Symantec and created a new boot CD - no success.  I've also tried creating a new boot disk from the System Recovery program installed on the T100 - again without success.

Thinking that it must be a driver problem, I turned to a Dell Inspiron and booted up with the System Recover disk - still no SATA drives.

I've been using Syste Recovery since the PowerQuest Drive Image days and this is the first time I've had this problem.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks

Richard

5 REPLIES 5

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

The only thing i could think of is too a driver issue. If you can get a "SATA driver" you could add it to the SRD by using the drvload command line utility. Have you tried running the driver verfication of SSR on this machine ? Does it show any missing drivers ?

Richard_Wagstaf
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the response Markus.

I've discovered a couple of things since my original post....

1. The boot disk from System Recovery 2010 finds the drives fine.

2. If I create a partition on the drive first then System Recovery 2011 will find it.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm, strange thing.

criley
Employee Accredited

That sounds like a possible defect then. Please open a support case for this.

Richard_Wagstaf
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Please open a support case for this

I don't think support will wan't to know.  It's a NFR license and I'm using to learn the program and our lowly partner status doesn't entitle us to support.