cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Recovery 2011 to a NAS device

Richard_Wagstaf
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I have a small NAS device (DNS-323) and I wanted to try out backing up a PC to using System Recovery 2011.

The drive on the NAS is set to Read/Write for everyone.  When setting up the backup job I can browse to the relevant directory on the NAS but get stuck when System Recover asks me for the drive's credentials as there isn't any.

I've tried creating a share on the drive for System Recovery and still the credentials get rejected.

Can this be done or am I missing the obvious?

Many thanks.

Richard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Richard_Wagstaf
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Many thanks for the info Chis. 

This didn't work for me - the suggested menu options doesn't appear to be a System Recovery menu.

However, it did lead me to a solution.....

I went to Tasks -> Options and in 'General I typed the default backup destination into the relevant field (browsing didn't work).

I could then select the destination path from the drop down when creating the backup job.

Strange!

Again, thanks for your time on this.

Richard

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

criley
Employee Accredited

This may help:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH173534

Richard_Wagstaf
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks Chris.

I did see that article but it didn't help.  I just need to be able to enter (or skip) the network credentials when setting up the destination in the Define Backup Wizard.

criley
Employee Accredited

Looks like someone else ran into this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-desktopserver-edition-2010-force-you-use-network-credentials-backing-network-shar

Richard_Wagstaf
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Many thanks for the info Chis. 

This didn't work for me - the suggested menu options doesn't appear to be a System Recovery menu.

However, it did lead me to a solution.....

I went to Tasks -> Options and in 'General I typed the default backup destination into the relevant field (browsing didn't work).

I could then select the destination path from the drop down when creating the backup job.

Strange!

Again, thanks for your time on this.

Richard

criley
Employee Accredited

That's strange. I can't really explain why it works when you do it that way.

Anyway, thanks for the update and glad you got it working in the end.