cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Recovery 2013 Crashes during install on Server 2013 Standard

Mr_Crusher
Level 3

I just downloaded and tried to install System Recoery 2013 trial on a new load of a Server 2013.  I select "Install Now" and a few seconds later it crashes on the _Setup program.  No error messages are given.  Thoughts?

17 REPLIES 17

Mr_Crusher
Level 3

OK, I just saw the error details from Microsoft.  Here they are:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01: _setup.exe
  Problem Signature 02: 15.0.7.0
  Problem Signature 03: 50126d72
  Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
  Problem Signature 05: 4.0.30319.18051
  Problem Signature 06: 5173bf53
  Problem Signature 07: 4c39
  Problem Signature 08: 42
  Problem Signature 09: System.Security.Security
  OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.272.7
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: d974
  Additional Information 2: d97463611971cb6bb7f2b9ba93151a17
  Additional Information 3: 5584
  Additional Information 4: 5584b417296dfffdf0b858246af419fc

Mr_Crusher
Level 3

OK, so I also see that in my post I put Server 2013 Standard.  That was a typo and it is a Server 2012.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Run as admin ?

Mr_Crusher
Level 3

Good thought.  I tried it, but it still crashes.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Puh, can you open a support case for this ?

Mr_Crusher
Level 3

A support case would be great, but I thought there was no support offered on Trial versions.  I'd be glad to work with a support tech on this, although I've already begun to look into another server based alternative that did install and perform a backup flawlessly.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

OK, so I could try to escalete this to support for you.

Adrenaline_X
Level 3
Experiencing the exact same error message in win2k12 std

Mr_Crusher
Level 3

Adrenaline_X, it appeared that they would open a case for me, even though the trial does not allow support.  However, nothing ever happened.  I was abandoned.  In the meantime, I contacted StorageCraft and tried their ShadowProtect 5 on the 2012 Std Server and it ran perfectly the first time.  The software has a fast interface and is much smaller.  It will do everything that the Symantec products do, except it really works.  They personally called me a couple of times, signed me up as a reseller, provided me a NFR copy through the mail for free, and will be providing me a 1 on 1 tech training for 2 hours.  I understand that they also provide the drivers that Symantec uses in their backup exec (unverified).

Since Symantec has dropped the ball and since StorageCraft has caught the ball and run full steam with it, I am thinking the answer here is a no-brainer.  Hope this helps.

Adrenaline_X
Level 3

Thanks for the update.

I called and talked to 3 different people and the last one was going to call me right back at my direct number as they were quiet on the phone.. Needless to say i never recieved a phone call back.

We currently have a 100 seat ongoing license for SEPM and have several ssr 2011 licenses as well.. I just want to test SSR 2013 before buying it for our 30 plus servers.. But it doesn't seem like they care.. So i'm currently looking at different options from VEAM and ACRONIS for backing up our VMS and Hosts.

Symantec is really horrible to deal with when it comes to support.. thats why i push it down to the junior network admins.. but this is plain ridiculous that i can't even install the trial to test it before purchasing.. ANd i can't get support for the trial software Install.. They expect me to buy it first? NOPE.

Mr_Crusher
Level 3

Adrenaline_X, the same person who turned me on to StorageCraft swears by VEAM for virtual environments.  I think you're looking in the right direction.  I was using Backup Exec, but they don't even have a version out now that runs solely on a Server 2012.  Speaks volumes for Symantec who has had a long time to have that product ready.

Tsenduk
Not applicable

Please try reading following article:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH202984

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Adrenaline_X - do you have an active support case for this issue? If so, can you please shoot me the case number in a private message? I am dealing with an advanced tech who has been asking me questions about a failed installs in a Server 2012 system. 

Are both of your machines virtual? If so, can you tell me the VM host and VM version you are running Server 2012 on?

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Just as an update, please follow technote: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH202984

Mr_Crusher
Level 3

That is great information to have.  However, it took so long to get back to me that I already gave up and installed Storagecraft's Shadow Protect.  Their software installed without any errors and they provided prompt support and a 1.5 hour personal webinar to train me.  It is smaller, installs faster, and the interface is much faster than Backup Exec ever was.  I'm able to perform a bare metal restore to different hardware very easily, so I'm very happy.  I'm quite shocked and disappointed that Symantec does not even have a Backup Exec version for Server 2012 yet, when it's been out for a year and the Release Candidate and Beta were out long before that.  That is why I was forced to try Sytem Recovery 2013.  When you took so long to reply, I just had to start looking elsewhere.  But thank you for the eventual followup.

adrenaline
Level 3

Yes.. You need to install the symantec system recover 2013 FOR VIRTUAL MACHINES.

Tech support contacted me and got it all sorted out.

(edited from 2012 to 2013)

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

adrenaline - can you please send me a private message with your case number?