cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Recovery 2013 Help

James_A_14
Level 3

I am in the process of evaluating System Recovery 2013 Management Console and I am having a few issues pushing the backup policy to the client computers. The policy pushes when I first install System Recovery client on to a new computer but if i make any updates or changes to the policy the changes do not get pushed out. I tried pushing the policy by using the Monitor Tasks Tab and doing both a "quick run" and a "new schedule" but here is where it gets kind of weird. I select my client computer from the list, both the computer name and IP address show, and I click schedule. Now when the task shows up in the task Status window it says 0 computers and if i double click the task to view the status no computers are showing up. The screen says Total computers: 0 I have been working on this for several days and have yet to get a successful backup. I am starting to get pretty frustrated. Any help is appreciated. thanks, James

9 REPLIES 9

criley
Employee Accredited

The policy pushes when I first install System Recovery client on to a new computer but if i make any updates or changes to the policy the changes do not get pushed out.

This is how it should work ....

You create a policy and then assign it to one or more client machines. Those client machines will then 'pull' down the policy when they next update themselves with the management server (by default, clients check once an hour to see if there is anything new for them).

If you are making a change to an exisiting policy, the client(s) should pull down this updated policy at their next scheduled update interval. You should not have to maually 'force' the pull/push of the policy to the clients.

I wonder if there is some communication issue with the SMA (Symantec Management Agent) on the client machine(s)? To test this, try the following:

1. Make a change to an existing policy. Save the policy.

2. On one of the clients that is assigned to this policy, restart the Symantec Management Agent service.

3. Wait for 5mins. Is the updated policy now delivered to this client?

James_A_14
Level 3
Thank you for your reply, I ran through the steps above but still no go. I would agree there appears to be a communications issue. I am just not sure why. I have tried several machines and even did a reimage of a machine. I can ping back and forth between the machines. I pushed the Management agent and the System recovery software to the client machines from the System Recovery Management console, and everything installed there. Communication seems to stop beyond that point. I don't see anything glaringly obvious in the System event logs, although it appears that the services for the Management agent stopped a couple times and the system restarted them.

criley
Employee Accredited

If you go into the Management Console, and look in Manage Tasks | Computers, what staus is shown for these client machines?

Also, from the same screen, right-click on 1 or 2 clients and choose 'Resource Manager'. From here, check to see what is shown in the Symantec Management Agent section for 'First Discovered'. 'Last Configuration Request' etc.

And finally, what operating systems is running on these clients?

James_A_14
Level 3
The status of the computers did say "at Risk" last Run time is "none" next run time is "none" and the Schedule shows 3:30 on the secheduled days of the week (which is all of them currently) however when i right clicked on them to do the Resource Manager all of the computers except for the server disappeard and the server is stated as "not reporting." I will see if I can play around with it to get my computers to show back up. I should mention this is a test server so there aren't many limits to what i can try to fix the issue.

criley
Employee Accredited

OK, if they are showing as 'not reporting', that suggests a communication or network issue.

Check basic ping first, in both directions. Then start looking at the Symantec Management Agent on the client machines.

And check if you are running into this issue:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH216967

James_A_14
Level 3
I can ping in both directions. I am actually seeing the errors described in that article. I will contact tech support for the hotfix and report back. Thank you! James

criley
Employee Accredited

If you are based in UK/Europe, please let me know your case number once you have opened a support case.

James_A_14
Level 3
I am in the US. I have a ticket open so hopefully will have the hotfix soon.

James_A_14
Level 3
Hey Chris, Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I had some back and forth with Symantec support and it seems that the issue I was having was related to the article posted above. For some reason I cannot mark it as a solution though. Thank you very much for your help on this! Regards, James