cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Recovery 2013 not running backups

unhappyelf
Level 3

This has been king of a pain to diagnose. Basically, the system is not running backups on schedule. I can run them just fine manully but the are not running at the scheduled time for the backup. There are no log messages in either System recovery or in Event Logs. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,

Karl

9 REPLIES 9

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Karl -

Is there any other backup software installed onto the system? 

Is the machine being managed by SSR MS 2013 console?

Is it possible that the base backup is still in progress when the incremental is scheduled to kick off? The log file should have an information message about this if this is the case. You can also look at the C:\ProgramData\Symantec\SYMANTEC SYSTEM RECOVERY\LOGS\Symantec System Recovery.log.txt file and see if there is anything therein that might indicate what was going on when the scheduled backup should have kicked off.

Try modifying the job to run either 5 minutes ahead, or 5 minutes behind your current setting. For example, if it is scheduled to run at 12:30, change it to 12:35. 

unhappyelf
Level 3

As far as I know there is no other backup software on the system.

The machine is not being managed by the SSR MS Console.

The Following is a snip from the log file. The backup is supposed to run at 5AM, there is nothing in the logs

12/19/2014 8:59:33 AM High Priority Info: Info 6C8F1F63: The drive-based backup job, Drive Backup of (C:\), has been started manually. 0x00 (Symantec System Recovery)
12/19/2014 9:00:13 AM High Priority Info: Info 6C8F1F7A: A manual incremental recovery point of drive C:\ was created successfully. 0x00 (Symantec System Recovery)
12/30/2014 8:52:46 AM High Priority Info: Info 6C8F1F63: The drive-based backup job, Drive Backup of (C:\), has been started manually. 0x00 (Symantec System Recovery)
12/30/2014 8:53:24 AM High Priority Info: Info 6C8F1F7A: A manual incremental recovery point of drive C:\ was created successfully. 0x00 (Symantec System Recovery)

I have already changed the backup time several times. 

Are there any other log files that may indicate whats going on? I noticed the VProConsole was updated at 5AM but I didnt see anything obvious in the log.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

This log may tell us more: C:\ProgramData\Symantec\SYMANTEC SYSTEM RECOVERY\LOGS\Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2.dbg. 

Also, there should be a file with a .PQJ extension located at C:\ProgramData\Symantec\SYMANTEC SYSTEM RECOVERY\Schedule. Attach that file also. 

unhappyelf
Level 3

Ok here are the files

unhappyelf
Level 3

Bump, Im still looking for a fix. Would a complete reinstall of Symantec work?

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I'm looking at the logs and it appears SSR is encountering periodic network issues. The error being returned to SSR by Windows 2003 when the connection is made (or attempted to be made) is:

"Unable to establish a network connection to \\bckup2-2k8-main.xxxxxxx.com\d$. Error 000004b3 - No network provider accepted the given network path.” (domain name replaced with x's)

According to Microsoft, under Windows 2003, one or more of the following condition could be true:

- There are network connectivity problems.
- There are name resolution issues with, for example, Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) or Domain Name System (DNS).
- The Remote Registry service is disabled on the client computer.
- The Microsoft Windows Server 2003 firewall is blocking communications between the SMS Advanced Client and the SMS site server.
- The Server service on the client is not started.
- File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is not installed on the client computer. (Note If File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is not installed on the client, you receive the following error message (in the event log): Error 67 - The network name cannot be found.

(SSR uses the Windows API for all network connections. There are no proprietary connections made directly from SSR to the backup destination.)

The Symantec knowledge base has a technote that addresses this issue: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH101378

unhappyelf
Level 3

Ok, the resource works just fine in explorer and the backup runs if run manully. Is there any reason a manual backup would work just fine and the scheduled would display this error?

Thanks,

Karl

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You may want to consider opening a support case for a more rapid resolution:(http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=cdlogin )

Or try this: kick off the backup manually. If it proceeds without error, cancel it, then immediately edit the backup job to run 1 minute from now, save, and let it automatically kicks off. If it proceeds, a network issue at the previously scheduled time is occuring. Sometimes simply adjusting the time to be a few minutes earlier or later resolves this). Also, check the NIC settings to ensure it isn't going into powersave mode. 

If it fails, capture that same logs and attach it. Also let me know what time you set it to kick off so I can match it to the log. 

(Another test is to connect a USB drive. Edit the job to point to that drive as the destination and let the scheduled backup occur.) 

unhappyelf
Level 3

Ok here are the files you asked for. It didnt work, I set it to 7:51AM right after I cancelled a job that was ruuing fine manually.

Thanks,

Karl