cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Recovery Raid configuration fails

Vistapaint
Level 3

Goodday everbody,

The company that i working for has bought a new server (HP Proliant ML310E Gen8), because our old one is to slow for several programs. We also want the programs and data in a exact copy to the new server. To do so, we have bought the program 'System Recovery 2013 Server Edition' from Symantec and have already made a image from the old server (Win server 2008 r2).

Our IT man has the image and the new server, but he got some difficulties trying the get the image working on the HP ML310E Gen8. The image works fine, but he get the error, that the raid configuration driver is not supporting or working with the image. So, the new server won't start to the login screen from Server 2008.

We have already install the new raid drivers from HP, but it still doesn't work.

Now is my question, can anybody help me to resolve this problem?

Thanks and your sincerely,

Ron Versteeg

Vista B.V.

10 REPLIES 10

criley
Employee Accredited

Are you saying that the operating system does not boot on the new server?

What is the exact error message you see?

Vistapaint
Level 3

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your quick respons. Thats correct, the system doesn't boot on the new server. This is what my colleague get:

Diskfan_HPprod_logical_volume

After a quick resource a saw that the System Recovery (indepent recovery point) not recovered the hidding partition with some hp recoverytools on it. Can this be the problem and how can we fix this with Symantec System Recovery 2013?

I hope to hear from you as soon as possible.

Ron Versteeg
Vista B.V.

criley
Employee Accredited

I don't think the HP Recovery Partition is critical to the operating system booting so not certain if this is the issue - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c00810279

An exact copy of the error would help. Are you able to provide a screenshot of the error (maybe a photo via smartphone etc)?

Vistapaint
Level 3

Dear Chris,

To answer your question, no i don't think that is the issue to our problem. I am sorry, but i can't take a photo of the bootsection at the moment. Is it possible to make a custom bootcd/dvd with the drivers in it? If so, can you give me a screenshot or a tutorial how i can make that custom bootcd?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Ron Versteeg

Vistapaint
Level 3

Dear Chris,

This is what my colleague get after reinstalling the recovery image.

I hope that this is usefull information.

Sincerely,

Ron Versteeg

criley
Employee Accredited

I think you need to check which partition is marked as active.

You can do this by booting of the SRD, going to command prompt and running the DISKPART command. From here, do LIST DISK, then SELECT DISK #, then LIST PARTITION. From here you can do SELECT PARTITION #, then do DETAIL PARTITION for each partition.

The output of detail partition will show an entry for Active: Yes/No.

Vistapaint
Level 3

Dear Chris,

Iam sorry for the late respons, but your answer above doesn't work. We had already try to actived the partition. We have tryed almost everthing, but still get the bootmgr. is missing.

I hope you can help us futhermore.

Your Sincerely,

Ron Versteeg

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Can you describe how many partitions do you have from old machine whih you are trying to restore

eg : System reserved , C: , D: .etc

Which type of RAID is configured ?

Also can you send us the screen show of the steps mentioned by Chris

You can do this by booting of the SRD, going to command prompt and running the DISKPART command. From here, do LIST DISK, then SELECT DISK #, then LIST PARTITION. From here you can do SELECT PARTITION #, then do DETAIL PARTITION for each partition.

The output of detail partition will show an entry for Active: Yes/No.

Vistapaint
Level 3

Dear Tripti,

We have in total of three partition backuped, the C (bootsector) D (data) and the system reserved, but the main partition that we want to restore is the C (Windows Server 2008 R2). The configuration is set in a raid 1. Next to al the things we tryed, we also disabled the Raid configuration, but without any luck.

We have tryed to reinstall the Windows server and then restore the bootsector from the System Recovery, but again without luck.To answer your question, we already set up the active partition what you mention.

Hope that you still have a other solution to our problem!

Sincerely,

Ron Versteeg

criley
Employee Accredited

Is the system reserved partition marked as active when we do the restore? If not, please try restore again.

If this does not help, I would recommend opening a support case for this issue.