cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Recovery with 2012 Hyper-V

Hartnett_Smith
Level 3

I need to backup 1 virtual machine in 2012 Hyper-V.  Can I restore individual files on the virtual machine, or do I have to restore the complete virtual machine?

6 REPLIES 6

criley
Employee Accredited

You can do both. It depends how you do the backup ..

• If you only install System Recovery on the Hyper-V host, you can only restore the virtual machine itself (i.e. restore entire VM) - backup is done at the host level
  • If you install System Recovery inside the virtual machine, you can perform granular level restores from inside the VM - backup is done at the OS level inside the VM

Hope that helps.

So, can I install on Hyper-V and a Virtual Machine with the one license?

criley
Employee Accredited

So, can I install on Hyper-V and a Virtual Machine with the one license?

Not sure on this, I will probably need to check with someone.

So you mean the VM is running on the same host, right? And what license do you have?

I have the 11609-M2959 - SYSTEM RECOVERY SERVER ED WIN 1 SERVER ONPREMISE STANDARD

PERPETUAL LICENSE COMP UPG CORPORATE

Should it just be on the virtual machine?

criley
Employee Accredited

So for this scenario, it looks like you need 2 licenses as you are protecting 2 different machines (host and VM).

In case you were not aware, we also have the Virtual Edition; this is 1 license that can be installed on the Hyper-V host and on an unlimited number of VMs running on that host. However, if you are only interested in 1 VM, it probably is not cost effective to go down this route - I just wanted to make you aware that this is available.

Thanks