cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Recovery

Huzefa_Merji
Level 3

Dear All,

i need to know what is diffrence between Backup Exec and System Recovery technically.

What i know is system recovery takes block levelbackup whereas Backup  Exec filelevel backup.

Which one is more preferable ? And what is the diffrence?

8 REPLIES 8

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

SSR is a sector level backup and is usually used for disaster recovery situations.

This can perform a restore to a different hardware. It supports drive based backup. 

Backup Exec is file level so if you want GRT level backup which means you want to backup Exchange or Vmware which usually calls for Granular recovery like mailbox and other GRT information , you use backup exec.

Let me know what do you want to backup , a simple desktop or server ?

What applications do you want to backup ?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Already answered in this duplicate thread of yours - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/diffrence-between-backup-exec-and-system-recovery

Huzefa_Merji
Level 3

i want to backup exchange?

system recovery will not do granualr recovery in this case ?

VJware
Level 6

As I have previously mentioned in the other post, SSR will do so.

This link explains the Granular Recovery Option of SSR - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO83661.html

Huzefa_Merji
Level 3

As per Traj..in above thread he said for Granular recovery you need Syamntec backupexec :

Hi,

SSR is a sector level backup and is usually used for disaster recovery situations.

This can perform a restore to a different hardware. It supports drive based backup. 

Backup Exec is file level so if you want GRT level backup which means you want to backup Exchange or Vmware which usually calls for Granular recovery like mailbox and other GRT information , you use backup exec.

VJware
Level 6

You can check the above link which i posted and that's an official technical article confirming GRT capability of SSR.

If you are still in doubt even after reading the official article, why not evaluate SSR in trial version and check if you can do GRT restore or not.

BE also provides GRT however with more features than SSR.

Huzefa_Merji
Level 3

I appreciate Vjware ..but even info provided above by is TRAJ..SYmantec employee.

B.E provides more features what all are they?

And whether symantec system recovery will do active directory object level recovery ?

VJware
Level 6

SSR's Granular Recovery Option will work only for Exchange, Sharepoint and Files & Folders.

BE's Granular Recovery Technology will work with Exchange, Sharepoint, Files & Folders, SQL and Active Directory.

BE has agents for other applications such as Lotus, Oracle, Hyper-V, VMware, Linux and Mac. It supports multiple destination devices such as Basic Disk, DeDuplication Disk, Tape etc.  It has multiple options such as offhost backups, synthetic backups etc.

Lastly, both products are available as trial versions. Unless you evaluate the product, you will not know the differences between each product and you'll also find out which product is more suitable in your environment.