cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System recovery 18 not accepting encryption password

jerry77
Level 2

I have created backup with encryption so it is password protected. This v2i file is stored on my NAS. While I can access backup through Granual restore option and mount the image I cannot validate password when trying to run recovery of drive. Password will not be accepted. Is this a bug?

6 REPLIES 6

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

We did already some restores with VSR18 SP2, our Backups are stored on NAS devices and are password encrypted. No problem so far.

criley
Employee Accredited

@jerry77 

Can you create a new backup job with same password and then try again to see if it works this time?

If this is something that you are able to easily reproduce, can you please send me details of the password you are using via private message. I can then see if I can test this here.

The screenshot shows the issue is with volume D, are you also seeing same issue with other volumes that you are backing up?

It has to do something with Windows 10 and way it handles network file security. Tried same thing with Windows 7 and there it worked fine. Considering to be a bug in Symantec as with ths SP2 still not working.
I would turn off encryption password for now to avoid this issue when back up from Windows 10.

criley
Employee Accredited

@jerry77 

Thanks for the info. Could you please confirm the Win 10 build number you are seeing the issue on (run the WINVER command and provide a screenshot).

Once I have this, I will see if I can test here.

10.1803 sure thing

criley
Employee Accredited

@jerry77 

I've done a quick test here (using Win 10 1809 build) and do not see this issue. It's possible that it only affects the version of Win 10 you are using.

As I don't have access to a NAS device, I am just backing up to a network share on another server - so again, this is not a like for like test. To rule out the NAS, are you able to test backing up to a standard network share to see if you see same issue or not?

It may be worth checking this as well; rather than using the Granular Restore Option, can you just browse to the backup destination folder in Windows Explorer, then double click on the v2i file you are trying to restore from. This will open the recovery point into the Recovery Point Browser and should prompt for a password. Is the password accepted here?