cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System recovery 2013 failing claiming 'cancelled by user'

Sense_Support
Level 2

Hi

I have installed symantec system recovery 2013 on a windows 2012 server. It is doing a nightly backup to an external 1/2 TB drive.

This is a full backup with incrementals and is set to create a new recovery point weekly. I have told it to automatically optimize storage and set a limit of 400 GB so as to leave some head room for safety sake.

The issue that i'm experiencing is that it will run for a few days then i will start getting failure notifications saying:

"Date: 29/09/2014 23:09:03

Notification Type: Info

Priority: High

Description: Error EBAB03F1: Following Operating System error occurred while performing requested operation: 'The operation was canceled by the user.'

Info 6C8F1C2F: Recovery point creation for job 'Drive Backup of RECOVERY (*:\), OS (C:\), DATA (E:\)' was cancelled by the user.

Details: The operation was canceled by the user."

Clearly this is not being cancelled by the user, i believe the issue may be a size issue. I think that the optimization cannot happen unless there more than 1 full sets of backups with incrementals. Is this the issue? There is currently 40GB available before the size limit set comes into effect and the last set of incrementals totalled less than 5GB.

I have tried deleteing and recreating the job but am getting the same issue. What are the rule of thumb recomendations for backup drives?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

4 REPLIES 4

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

It could be very well the case! How many backup sets do you retain?

Sense_Support
Level 2

Thanks for your reply Markus.

It is failing before the first set of incrementals is complete. The initial job is just over 350GB so i think i need to get it to take a complete fresh backup each night until they can resolve this.

It would seem logical to me that you would need a minimum of 2 complete sets of incrementals before optimization can begin but just want to confirm this is how it works.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

If you have set the retention to n generations (full and incremental backups) you need n+1 times the space on the backup target to run the cycle. The last backup generation is only deleted after the new full backup completed successfully.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here?