cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System recovery 8.5 - should I buy?

rossonero
Level 3
I have a Dell "server" - running windows 2003 server. There is no raid controller, so it runs windows dynamic disc on 2 harddrives. The problem is, there is not enough space, so I will have to make a copy to the new harddrive(s)

Is BESR able copy dynamic disc ? - My plan is to attach the new harddrive with USB, and than run the program in windows and copy the data right away to the new disc.. And afterwards, when the new disc hopefully can boot, attach a new harddrive and than in windows on the new hardrive make it dynamic again.

There are some bad blocks on the disk, which is the reason I am not able to clone it as I normal do.  Is BESR able to skip these areas - the windows installation is running (for some reason), but is is maybe just a matter of time

12 REPLIES 12

marcogsp
Level 6
The answer to all your queries is yes.  I have never done a disk to disk transfer with this product, but I do know that the imaging capability does have an option to choose ignoring bad sectors.

Here is how I would approach this scenario:
  • Image the existing dynamic disc array to an external drive or network location with option to ignore bad sectors.
  • Shut down the server and remove the old drives.  Label drives and positions in case you have to reinsert back into the case
  • Install the new blank drives and boot with the the Symantec Recovery Disk..
  • In the Analyze section open the command prompt.
  • Use the Diskpart utility to create the dynamic disks and array.  A great video tutorial for this is located at:  http://www.thoughtdeposit.net/movies/RAID1-Diskpart-Howto.html
  • Restore the image captured earlier to the new array.  Use the Restore Disk Signature option since the Diskpart utility may have assigned an undesirable drive letter.
  • Reboot the server to the new hard drive configuration
The trial version of BESR should be able to accomplish this as a proof of concept, but you would need to get a temporary license key in order to use the more advanced features like cold imaging.  Chances are you'll want to buy the product if the transfer proves successful.  As you've already experienced, it is not if a drive will begin to fail, but when.  Having a good recovery strategy is a necessity, not an option

rossonero
Level 3
Is it possible to get a temp license ?

marcogsp
Level 6
You have to contact Symantec licensing to do so.  The features you might want to test with the temporary license are cold imaging, Restore Anyware, and creating a custom SRD. However, since you are restoring to the same physical computer, the trail version should be able to complete the task you have in mind.  If it doesn't work then putting the old drives in should keep you going until they eventually fail.

rossonero
Level 3
When you say :

Image the existing dynamic disc array to an external drive or network location with option to ignore bad sectors.

Do you mean, that I have to chose the "copy my harddrive" under tools in BESR - I can not see any way to make an image (in one file) in the BESR 8.5

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Marcogsp has given good advise. You can image the volume without any problems (as long as there are not serious disk issues). Using diskpart is a 'work around' to get your drives back up and running from the recovery disk. Worst case scenario - you could reinstall Windows fresh on the new drives, then mount the BESR image file to a drive letter and access the data that way.

Regarding the temp license, Symantec does not typically offer these to companies unless there are multiple licenses involved.

rossonero
Level 3

Another thing - Maybe I ask stupid - but it is not possible just to make a "copy my harddrive" from the running harddrive to the new harddrive. When it can start on one harddrive into windows, I can attach the 2nd harddisk and make it dynamic in windows (so diskpart is not needed) - is this a solution ?

marcogsp
Level 6
Yes, your copy drive scenario is possible.  Chapter 15 of the manual outlines the general procedure you can adapt for your scenario:  Chapter 6 outlines the procedure for making an image of the drive.  I presented the imaging option because there are a number of posts in this forum regarding failed drive to drive copy operations. Sometimes the imaging process has salvaged these failures.   As Andreas indicated, serious disk issues can cause the imaging process to fail.  This is true of the disk to disk copy operation as well.

The latest manual can be downloaded here.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305673.htm

rossonero
Level 3
I just had a normal pc with a bad disk that I tried to image - a similar thing I have to do on the server.
It takes some time, but with just 1 second left it stops. I let it be in 24 hours, but it did not finish. So I have my fear that the same can happend on the server. I in the setup of the image, told it to skip bad sectors - and when trying to extract the image it tells me that there is an error in the last frame.

marcogsp
Level 6
rossonero -- Imaging your server could also fail.  The only way to tell is to try it.  BESR can do many things, but it can not repair disk damage on the fly so to speak.  It is very much affected by the GIGO principle, Garbage In, Garbage Out.  That is one of the reasons why I don't rely on it solely for backup.  I also keep a few weeks of images archived and test them ferquently in a lab environment.  The axiom that the younger your backup is, the more likely it is corrupted, holds doubly true when imaging a failing hard drive.  Yesterday, i was able to determine that one of my production domain controllers has a creeping MBR problem, by restoring its image in a lab environment.  It should be an easy repair since I caught it early.  I can only imagine what it would be like if I didn't test my images.

If BESR can not image your server successfully, then you may have to extract what data you can by other means and rebuild the server.  I too wish that BESR or some other imaging product could guarantee a successful image of a failing disk, but that is not possible.

Best of Luck

Marco

rossonero
Level 3
For as the pc and also the server, both things windows installations was working. So I don´t understand that it is not possible for BESR to make this copy. I understand that it can not get a windows installations working when it does not work before. But this harddrive was working and the server also works, so why it not just skip the areas where it can not get data.

marcogsp
Level 6
There are actually two types of bad sectors, logical and physical.  Physical bad sectors are caused by actual damage to the disk surface which makes the sector unusable.  Logical bad sectors are caused by the disk's magnetic surfaces being improperly magnetized -- say by a rogue process or improper shutdown.  Logical bad sectors can be regained by properly magnetizing the sectors again.  This is essentially what utilities that write zeros to the sectors do during a drive wipe.  Of course, these utilies need to be manufacturer specific in order to be most effective.  Regardless of type, the drives electronics, not the OS keeps track of the bad sectors.  However, the chip responsible for keeping the bad sector inventory only has so much space allocated for this purpose.  The hard drive will never be able to keep track of all the bad sectors, logical or physical, that will develop over the life of the drive.

Perhaps your example systems are operating with bad sectors that are not inventoried, and thus the system is able to read the good portions of the sector.  A typical NTFS sector is 512 bytes, and many times the entire sector is not used when a file is being written.  Then BESR comes along and tries to image the sector.  Depending on how bad the uninventoried sector is, BESR may or may not be able to interpret the data correctly.  This is just my best logical guess.  Regardless, I don't believe BESR was ever intended to be a forensic imaging tool.  You are fortunate that the systems are operational enough to extract any needed data.  Both of these systems will fail eventually, so extract any needed data sooner than later, by whatever means needed

rossonero
Level 3
Hi,
I got the image taken by system recovery - the C: and E : drive

I have than inserted two new discs and with diskpart made them dynamic

But when I try to extract the image again it tells me the following error:

Target drive - Invalid

Error ec950006: the destination is invalid. Error ex950005: the recovery point is not valid

What can I do ?

I can browse both image files so they seems ok.