cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The cost of getting support is more that the cost of the product SSR2013

luitpold
Level 2

Have the trial as a replacement (?) for ghost. Failed on first use. Backup files - 30GB -  created, but there is no recovery point to access the backup. To get tech support it is assumed that you are a business customer and need to fill in endless details (and the box to enter the tech details of the problem is 1inch ^2).

If I was a business customer for this product I'd just delete it and go somewhere else. As a sys admin for a SMB we use backup exec, an almost impenetrable program which needs business grade support. SSR2013 doesn't.

I guess it's back to Ghost.

7 REPLIES 7

criley
Employee Accredited

Failed on first use. Backup files - 30GB -  created, but there is no recovery point to access the backup.

What do you mean exactly? You should find a .v2i file at the location you specified when creating the job.

luitpold
Level 2

no v2i file

a hidden folder VProRecovery

a folder File Backup Data containing hundreds of fBf files

thats all. this is supposed to be easy.... (and I could not login using IE8 with high security settings)

criley
Employee Accredited

OK, so you have done a File/Folder backup and NOT a full volume backup. This explains why there is no .v2i file.

So you can just go to 'Recover My Files' and restore what you need.

By the way, any reason why you chose the file/folder backup method as opposed to the default volume-level method?

luitpold
Level 2

>So you can just go to 'Recover My Files' and restore what you need.

nowhere near as good as v2i (and I never noticed this option in Ghost, sorry). There is no verify with this option which makes it pretty much useless. There is no split option either - so no chance to rewrite onto 100/50GB optical media.

>By the way, any reason why you chose the file/folder backup method as opposed to the default volume-level method?

moved everything to SAS raid, and do not have 2TB+ of alternative fast storage to do vol level backups (that's excluding the OS)

criley
Employee Accredited

I agree with your first comment. I almost never recommend the File/Folder method (unless you are backing up a small amount of data, i.e. 'My Documents' folder, on a desktop/laptop, as it's very limited when compared to full volume backups.

If the File/Folder backup method is not suitable for you, I see your only option as getting more storage so you can perform volume-level backups.

luitpold
Level 2

final questions/points:

1. why can't SSR2013 create v2i backups from folders? Much more logical to do this now that very large disks are available. It's fine to backup complete volumes for DR, but for day to day data backup it's not practicable.

2. why can't the threatcon window be disabled? I consider it a privacy issue that starting the program calls home - and I have no interest in the information anyway. I know I can block the access in the firewall but this should not be necessary.

thanks for your patience.

criley
Employee Accredited

1. That's just the way the product is designed. All I can tell you is that the File/Folder backup method is really designed for small chunks of data (i.e. end user data on desktop/laptops). Ideally you could do exclusions on volume-level backups which would allow you to do what you need. That would be an enhancement request though.

2. Does this help? http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH66607