cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time it would take to backup 50GB of Data across a 1GB speed Ethernet LAN to a NAS

JPMTJR
Level 3
Partner
I would like to know if anyone has Bench Tested the speed a backup takes.  I have an HP 350 with an Intel Xeon 2Ghz in Processing Speed and 3.25 GB of RAM.

In round numbers let's say that I want to back up 50GB of Data across a LAN at Gigabyte speed to a NAS.
My customer will want to know just how long it would take for the backup to complete.
4 REPLIES 4

TerryHog
Level 2
I don't know about Gigabit but, if it's any help, my initial backup of a 100Gb server over a 100Mbps LAN is taking about one hour to complete. The 100Gb is getting compressed to about 50Gb by BESR before/during the transfer. The server is a Windows 2003 / Exchange 2007 / file server.

Message Edited by TerryHog on 06-05-2008 04:15 AM

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
When it comes to performance; mileage may vary.  I typically say, as a conservative rate, of 3 minutes per GB of used space (especially if verification is turned on); as you see with TerryHog though at 1.6 Min/GB rate (50GB compressed over the line in 60 minutes) in that environment the performance is much better. At this time, as I am aware of, there are no reports of benchmark tests performed with this product that has been released by product development. Though it would be interesting what others in this forum are getting as backup/restore rates. If interested please respond with version/build/ connection speed, used space being backup, if any backup options were used, and finally how long it took to backup.

Periwinkle
Level 2

175.5GB Used takes 1 hr with standard compression

BESR 7.0.3

Windows Server 2003 R2 (x86)
DeLL Perc 6/i SAS 15K RPM
Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II G 1Gbps through a NetGear GigaEthernet Switch
Role:
Microsoft File and Print Services
Active Directory Domain Control FSMO (PDC,RID,Infrastructure, Schema Master, Naming Master) and Global Catalog

using Options:
Verification
128bit encryption
Recovery point limit 2

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Periwinkle, are you having performance issues, what is the Windows server 2003 rate now if it use to take an hour to backup 175.5GB with standard compression?