cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to backup vs time to restore

TenOC
Level 4

I have a 2Tb HDD with a "C" partition of 190Gb (only 100Gb used)  for the operation system Win 7 and the balance in a "F" data partition.  I am backing up to an internal HDD "U". 

When I backup the C partition as the new incremental set the backup takes about 12 hours. When I do a full restore my computer from the SSR boot disk it only takes about 1/2 hour.

Why does the backup much longer time than the restore?  The backup on U is only about 40 Gb on the disk due to compression (?).  Is it because even if I am only backing up the C drive, SSR need to "read" all the sectors of the 2Tb drive?

3 REPLIES 3

criley
Employee Accredited

When I backup the C partition as the new incremental set the backup takes about 12 hours.

Are you saying that the incremental backup takes 12 hours? If so, this is not right.

How long does a full backup take?

What version of SSR are you using? (check in Help/About for version details)

TenOC
Level 4

The key word in the OP is NEW incremental set.  This is the same as a full backup..

When I backup the C partition as the new incremental set the backup takes about 12 hours. When I do a full restore my computer from the SSR boot disk it only takes about 1/2 hour.

I am using  SSR 2013 R2.

criley
Employee Accredited

To answer your original comment (Is it because even if I am only backing up the C drive, SSR need to "read" all the sectors of the 2Tb drive?) - by default, SSR does not do this.

However, check in the advanced options of the backup job and look for the option 'Disable SmartSector copying'). If this option is checked, it may explain why the job is taking so long.

How long does it take to backup the F partition (and how big is this)?