cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to backup but get Error E4F3000E: Snapshot failure while using Volume Shadow Copy Service.

gretar
Level 3

I had to reinstall my OS that is Windows 8.1 Pro, 32 bit and therefore reinstall all my software including SSR 2013, version 11.0.2. and I do get the following error messages trying to create a backup of a partiton.

Error E4F3000E: Snapshot failure while using Volume Shadow Copy Service.
VSS errors:
Error code: vss_e_provider_veto (-2147212538)

(UMI:V-281-1267-14). Before my reinstall SSR did work perfectly. I send some screen shots and did run the "vssadmin list providers" and only Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider was listed.

What to do / Hopy you can help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gretar
Level 3

For info. At last I did fix the VSS error (vss_e_provider_veto (-2147212538) by using the following guide from Symantec: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH200584 

I did change the size on drive D my boot drive for dual boot with the command:

"vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=D: /On=D: /MaxSize=900MB"  and made a successful backup of D drive.

Sending this info for others that perhaps do have similar problem.  SSR2013 did work perfectly, but the enviroment did need a change for the program to work correctly and a Windows bug (the CAPI2 error) did stop SSR bakcup.

Gretar Einarss.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

gretar
Level 3

Hi TRaj

Thanks for your reply.

I did run the chkdsk /r command but I do get the same errors so that did not do the work.

There is another error message in the Event Viewer log that is Error CAPI2, Event 513: Cryptographic Services failed while processing the Onldentity () call in the System Writer Object and Details: AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol and System Error: Access is denied. Can this be the root?

Regards

gretar
Level 3

For info. I did fix the CAPI2, Event 513 errors by following this instructions: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/cryptographic-services-failed-w... 

But I still have the VSS error and no backup, from my dual boot, system. I did manage to take a backup of a partition that did not have a boot sector, was only a data storage.

gretar
Level 3

For info. At last I did fix the VSS error (vss_e_provider_veto (-2147212538) by using the following guide from Symantec: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH200584 

I did change the size on drive D my boot drive for dual boot with the command:

"vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=D: /On=D: /MaxSize=900MB"  and made a successful backup of D drive.

Sending this info for others that perhaps do have similar problem.  SSR2013 did work perfectly, but the enviroment did need a change for the program to work correctly and a Windows bug (the CAPI2 error) did stop SSR bakcup.

Gretar Einarss.