cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Trying to re-install SSR 2011 after manual removal - Windows 2003 server.

Hi all,

We had an issue with SSR not running correct and on other occations (not with this problematic server) removed and re-installed which normally cures the issue.

With this particular server (Windows 2003) - we could not remove the software as it was looking for source files which the end user had 'tidied up' (read deleted) - subsequently he has tried putting the files back and various other methods of repairing/ modifying in an attempt to do a fresh installation. All of which failed.

At this point I've tried various articles (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH157372 - removal via batch file, http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH55097 - manual uninstallation) to which now when I come to install the software it still only gives me the options to modify, repair or remove.

From what I can tell getting to the final 'step 7' of the manual removal article I would have expected the installation to let me 'install' rather than modify/repair/remove.

Any help or pointers would be appriciated.

Thanks

Wayne.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution!

Or may be with the manual

Or may be with the manual removal of SSR using the batch file has never worked.

Once you uninstall SSR from "Add and Remove" programs , the SSR folder is gone from C:\Program files\Symantec

You need to create a new folder named "Symantec System Recovery" under C:\Program Files\Symantec\

Run the batch file and reboot the server , once the uninstall is successful , it will be gone from default folder location , add and remove programs and the icon will be unvisible too

Perform a clean install after reboot.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted

Have you tried cleaning the

Have you tried cleaning the MSI database with the MSIZAP utility?

Highlighted

Hi Markus, Must admit - not

Hi Markus,

Must admit - not ran that - although looking over google - MS have pulled this tool from download unless you have the 'SDK components for Windows Installer Developers'

I have found an MS article that talks about a replacement 'Mr Fixit' routine (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301) but this isnt for 2003 server.

Highlighted

Try to fetch MSIZAP.

Try to fetch MSIZAP.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution!

Or may be with the manual

Or may be with the manual removal of SSR using the batch file has never worked.

Once you uninstall SSR from "Add and Remove" programs , the SSR folder is gone from C:\Program files\Symantec

You need to create a new folder named "Symantec System Recovery" under C:\Program Files\Symantec\

Run the batch file and reboot the server , once the uninstall is successful , it will be gone from default folder location , add and remove programs and the icon will be unvisible too

Perform a clean install after reboot.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Any update here ?

Any update here ?

Highlighted

Hi, I've managed to get

Hi,

I've managed to get permission to run the script again, which seemed to do more this time around than previous. Problem at the moment - still awaiting site to get a restart of the server through and havnt heard anything back as of yet.

Will keep you updated as I know more.

Thanks

Wayne.

Highlighted

Thanks for an update so far ,

Thanks for an update so far , I would like to hear back after a reboot is performed.

Highlighted

Just thought I would update

Just thought I would update the list and mark the answer.

Looks like re-running the batch file with the directory created was enough to clear it out correctly. Thanks for that one!

Managed to get a restart in ok and have now configured it ok and all has been running - admittedly there has been a few hiccups with the schedule but I need to confirm this with the customer that they are not clashing this with anything else.

Other than that - hopefully the original issue has been solved! so again, many thanks.

Wayne.