cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to re-install SSR 2011 after manual removal - Windows 2003 server.

W_Harrison
Level 4
Partner

Hi all,

We had an issue with SSR not running correct and on other occations (not with this problematic server) removed and re-installed which normally cures the issue.

With this particular server (Windows 2003) - we could not remove the software as it was looking for source files which the end user had 'tidied up' (read deleted) - subsequently he has tried putting the files back and various other methods of repairing/ modifying in an attempt to do a fresh installation. All of which failed.

At this point I've tried various articles (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH157372 - removal via batch file, http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH55097 - manual uninstallation) to which now when I come to install the software it still only gives me the options to modify, repair or remove.

From what I can tell getting to the final 'step 7' of the manual removal article I would have expected the installation to let me 'install' rather than modify/repair/remove.

Any help or pointers would be appriciated.

Thanks

Wayne.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Or may be with the manual removal of SSR using the batch file has never worked.

Once you uninstall SSR from "Add and Remove" programs , the SSR folder is gone from C:\Program files\Symantec

You need to create a new folder named "Symantec System Recovery" under C:\Program Files\Symantec\

Run the batch file and reboot the server , once the uninstall is successful , it will be gone from default folder location , add and remove programs and the icon will be unvisible too

Perform a clean install after reboot.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you tried cleaning the MSI database with the MSIZAP utility?

W_Harrison
Level 4
Partner

Hi Markus,

Must admit - not ran that - although looking over google - MS have pulled this tool from download unless you have the 'SDK components for Windows Installer Developers'

I have found an MS article that talks about a replacement 'Mr Fixit' routine (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301) but this isnt for 2003 server.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Try to fetch MSIZAP.

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Or may be with the manual removal of SSR using the batch file has never worked.

Once you uninstall SSR from "Add and Remove" programs , the SSR folder is gone from C:\Program files\Symantec

You need to create a new folder named "Symantec System Recovery" under C:\Program Files\Symantec\

Run the batch file and reboot the server , once the uninstall is successful , it will be gone from default folder location , add and remove programs and the icon will be unvisible too

Perform a clean install after reboot.

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Any update here ?

W_Harrison
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

I've managed to get permission to run the script again, which seemed to do more this time around than previous. Problem at the moment - still awaiting site to get a restart of the server through and havnt heard anything back as of yet.

Will keep you updated as I know more.

Thanks

Wayne.

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Thanks for an update so far , I would like to hear back after a reboot is performed.

W_Harrison
Level 4
Partner

Just thought I would update the list and mark the answer.

Looks like re-running the batch file with the directory created was enough to clear it out correctly. Thanks for that one!

Managed to get a restart in ok and have now configured it ok and all has been running - admittedly there has been a few hiccups with the schedule but I need to confirm this with the customer that they are not clashing this with anything else.

Other than that - hopefully the original issue has been solved! so again, many thanks.

Wayne.