cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Week Old G15 Recovery Points In Limbo (With 2013)?????

DFGoode
Level 3

Two weeks ago, I backed up my C and D partitions on my Windows 7 64bit computer.  I backed up with G15 and had done so many times with no need to use the recovery points.  My computer had an event and I suddenly last week had need to use the recovery points.  I tried G15 SRD to recover the images on my partitions but this failed I supect because incorrect SRD drivers needed to recognize my computer network..  I tried many things.  I then purchased SRS2013 (and activated) and could not get the job done with it either.  I could not create a custom SRD that would boot on my computer with SRS2013.  My computer is a UEFI.  So the recovery environment (SRD) is not working.  I tried restoring within the program but this failed.  Restore Anywhere thus is not available. Upon verification of the recovery points they check out as being fine.  So, I am in Limbo between 15 and 2013 and nothing seems to be able to recover the computer even though the recovery points check out as fine.  Any suggestions (I humbly ask)?  If I could only recover the Windows 7 C Drive it would save what will be hours and hours of reinstalling and reconstituting my computer feel and setup. I would much like to avoid this.  So, thanks for any help.  Summary:

1.  Need to create a functional SRD, perhaps with Broadcom WLAN Drivers.

2.  Recovery points are G15 recover points vaild for install with SSR2013?  Should somehow a recovery be possible from these recovery points?

3.  Need to find a vehicle to recovery C and D image:  Restore Anywhere?  Restore from a virtual drive? 

Thanks for your input, thought and time!  Be well hand happy!!!.

7 REPLIES 7

grantpsd
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Ok, start with this KB and see if it helps. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH128386

Make sure you are using the 64 Bit SRD... see KB http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH177792

Let me know how it goes.

criley
Employee Accredited

My computer is a UEFI.  So the recovery environment (SRD) is not working.

What exactly do you mean by 'not working'? We need more details. If you have created a SRD on USB - this wont work on a UEFI machine (see readme section for details). You would need to use CD/DVD for SRD instead to workaround this.

Recovery points are G15 recover points vaild for install with SSR2013?  Should somehow a recovery be possible from these recovery points?

Yes, you can use SSR 2013 to restore recovery points created with Ghost 15.

DFGoode
Level 3

Thank you much grantpsd!  I appreciate your help with this issue.  I know the recovery points are good to go but, I just don't have enough technical background in software and operating systems to see my way to get these recovery into a viable recovery.  I have spent my fair share of time researching and learning about this.  But with your help, perhaps I will be able spend less time going forward toward a solution.

Again, thank you.

DFGoode
Level 3

Thank you much Chris Riley.  I appreciate your help with this issue.  I know the recovery points are good to go but, I just don't have enough technical background in software and operating systems to see my way to get these recovery into a viable recovery.  I have spent my fair share of time researching and learning about this.  But with your help, perhaps I will be able spend less time going forward toward a solution.

Again, thank you.

DFGoode
Level 3

I have purchased SRS2013 (and activated).  My computer is a UEFI with GPT initialized hard drives.  I have a 1TB USB Drive also initialize GPT.  I have saved serveral backup jobs on this USB Drive.  I have made a System Recovery USB for my system.  It boots to a recovery environment and recognizes the backup jobs stored on teh 1TB USB Drive but, it labels a "target drive as "Invalid.""  I don't think that as such, a recover of the backup job could go forward. I guess that I need to understand this better, so I ask your indulgence in considering the following questions:

1.  Will I need to update the SRD (USB)  with Broadcom WLAN Drivers and Broadcom Wireless Adapter drivers for the recovery to be able to recognize my "C" partition as the target?

2.  Will the SRD (USB) work with my UEFI with GPT initialized hard drives-I have read conflicting accounts?  I have created a SanDisk USB that boots!!!

3.  Is there any issues with the 1TB USB backup drive being initialized GPT?  Should be a viable storage location for SRS2013 backup and recovery storage?

4.  Where can I find a tutorial on the two (2) Broadcom drivers (above) vis a vis the SRD?  How do I get the 32 bit drivers and how do I copy such to the SRD/USB that I have created?  I am lost on what the driver softward actually is and how to carrry out the driver installation on the SRD/USB?

Thanks you all and any help with the above is appreciated.  Thanks.

Thanks for your input, thought and time!  Be well hand happy!!!.

Dave_H1
Level 4

Windows PE (what the recovery disk is based on) does not support WiFi.

You will need to use a wired connection through the Lan in order to restore from a network location.

Or use another system to copy the recovery point to an external drive.

Dave

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You should be fine with the EFI system and GPT drives. Support for both is built into SSR 2013. When it is showing the target as invalid, that could mean that it does not have a partition, an invalid partition or other data. You can attempt to proceed. If it fails, you can reboot back into the SRD and delete that invalid partition, restoring the data to raw space. Just be careful that you do not delete the partition from the backup drive location!

SSR 2013 has both 32 and 64 bit recovery disks (SRDs). Broadcom drivers are native to both, so before you manually add any drivers to the custom disk, test the recovery disk as is and see if can connect to your network. (As Brian said, WiFi is not supported.) If you want to test if the SRD contains your drivers, you can insert the SRD while in Windows, and when it autoruns, you can run the 'Driver Validation Tool' to check drivers on the SRD against your computer.