cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB External Hard Drive

Eric_Monroe
Level 3
Hi,
I have LSR Server and every time I plug in an Ext USB Drive the Console will not completely start. How do I create an image to a USB External Hard Drive. I have attempted on multiple servers and multiple USB hard Drives.

Thanks,

Eric
10 REPLIES 10

Eric_Monroe
Level 3
Looks like a huge bug in the software. The only way to get LSR running agian is to remove the USB drive, stop the LSR service and then start it again.
It would be nice to get a response from Symantec or Veritas...... esp when the software is close to $1000 a copy. I am loosing faith in this company.

E

Mr__Fabietto
Level 4
Employee
Hi Eric

What version are u using of LSR? Have you tried restarting LS Recovery Services after you plug in the drive?

See ya

Mr Fabietto
http://fcerullo.spaces.live.com

Eric_Monroe
Level 3
We have Symantec LiveState Recovery Standard Server 6.0
Version: 6.0.2.13545
Yes, i have restarted the services, it is the only way to get lsr to respond again. however, the it only responses when the the services are restarted without the drive pluged in.
This problem has happened on different servers with different USB 2.0 ext drives.
Please help.

Eric

Systems_Admin6
Level 4
No active Email or phone support for a $1000+ product, and a forum that has left a question like this go unanswered for over two weeks?

I wouldn't have bought this product had I known THAT, and likely never will again. Personal support from the company means a lot to me, despite the assistance you can get from forums such as this.

That being said, I've been running LSR on a server of mine for close to a year. It runs like clockwork, even when the drives are live-swapped. So we know yours SHOULD work. What version are you using?

I'm getting a case of an error with a new copy of BackUp Exec, System Recovery Server where it reboots the system during the backup, but the server doesn't come back up. I think I'll try installing my copy of LSR on it and see what happens...

Eric_Monroe
Level 3
We have Symantec LiveState Recovery Standard Server 6.0
Version: 6.0.2.13545

still having an issue. wish i could get some support

E

Systems_Admin6
Level 4
I wonder if anyone from Symantec monitors these forums...

Try disabling/uninstalling your antivirus software long enough for a test-run. Does your USB drive work fine during a normal copy of a large file?

Try D/Ling a trial version at www.acronis.com (Hard Drive Image Backup) and see if it works any better.

Eric_Monroe
Level 3
USB drive works just fine for all operations. Only the LSR does not work when in the USB drive is plugged in.
As for anti-virus, there is none installed.
I would love to have a symantec person help with this, i only have 3 license worth $2500.00 =(

Vladimir_Vuci1
Level 4
Eric,

Did you have gold support for the product? If yes, then you can call Symantec and open a case for support and resolving this issue.

If no, then you can try if this helps in any way (I know that this is just guessing, but...):

Some HP systems may hang if the controller driver is not up to date. This is problem with an HP iLO Advanced and Enhanced System Management Controller driver (CPQASM2.SYS). There is some document describing how to update.

Do you have any other USB devices, like mice of keyboard? Did you try this without them? What file system (FAT32 or ?) is on your USB drive?

Eric_Monroe
Level 3
Hi,

I have tried this on an HP, Intel, and Supermicro servers. all with same results.
There were no other usb devices attached.
The file system is NTFS.
Please help.

Eric

techno_nerd
Level 4
Eric,

Try leaving the drive unplugged, open a DOS window on the server, browsing into the LiveState Recovery\Advanced Server 6.0 folder. Once in this folder, run the LSR60_Fixinstall.bat file and reboot. Also, make sure the device has the latest firmware updates. Have you tried any other USB hard drives?

Thanks,

Technonerd