cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Activate BESR 8.0 on SBS2008

DD
Level 3
Partner

I have installed the program and have been running it in trial mode for over a month. I went to activate the program and it won't accept the License Key.

This is very frustrating!! I have uninstalled and reinstalled again, but it still won't accept the key.

Can Anyone help me, I only have 9days left to activate!!??!!

Damien

9 REPLIES 9

Jacob_A
Level 6
Employee
Please send me a private message with the key and I will verify it for you.

DD
Level 3
Partner

Ok Jacob, I have sent you 2 Private messages now and had no response.

The backup software is about to expire - what is going on??

Damien

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I am sorry for the delay, I will contact Jacob on this matter. If you have already uninstalled and reinstalled, and tried to apply the product key while just essential Microsoft and BESR services are running and still unable to apply the product key, if you can, please call into support on this issue.

Mr_K
Level 3

I too am having issues with BESR 8.0 and three Dell Rackmount Servers.

One two of the servers I have Small Business Server 2003 STandard Edition and the software installs fine.

On the other server with Small Business Server 2008 Standard Edition I get an invalid serial number and the software will not install, no matter what I try.

What has really got to me is that I spent a lot of money with Dell here, and a fair bit in getting three copies of this software, and they send me V8.0 of the software, and so far I'm getting the run around from them saying this is an issue for Symantec and nothing to do with them!!!

I tried chatting to a Symantec online person about this and they basically told me to contact customer support, who in turn tell me to go to Dell who in turn tell me to go to Symantec.....

I'm really starting to get hacked off big time with this so can ANYONE HELP HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

Joseph_L_
Level 5
Employee

It appears as if you are having 2 issues here. In terms of the install issue, more information will be needed to troubleshoot this. What is occurring during the install?

In terms of your licensing issue, BESR is OS aware, meaning a BESR desktop license key will not work on a server OS. You will need to make sure you purchased the correct version from Dell, you will need a small business edition license key for the installs on SBS.

Mr_K
Level 3

No installation issues at all.

The Card here reads: Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery, SBS Edition

It then reads:

Backup Exec 8.0 System recovery SBS Edition: S/N 00-4104-21xx-xxxxx7

As I say this installs fine to an SBS 2003 Server but mot my SBS 2008 server!

Joseph_L_
Level 5
Employee

Please see the software compatibility list. After further reviewing the SCL it appears that 8.0 does not support an 2008 OS.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/314384

Mr_K
Level 3

I have to say that it's incredible....... So I now ask the question.. how do I get 8.5? I suppose I have to spend more money to get software that I have just bought to work?

At times of friustration like this I really can understand why Piracy is rife. Its the paying end user who has to suffer all this nonsense, expense, and wasted time to try and get a product working.

NicholasC
Level 4

When did you purchase your version 8.0 license?

Version 8.5 was released on Oct 6, 2008.

If your order for 8.0 was placed in the last 30 days, I would contact your reseller and request to have the 8.0 order returned and replaced with a license for 8.5

If your order for 8.0 was placed more than 30 days ago, your reseller should be able to contact the Channel Inside Sales Team and they should be able to get authorization for the return and replacement order for the correct license.

Your reseller might have just accidentally used an old part number for version 8.0 instead of the current part numbers for 8.5.

If your order for 8.0 also had a support contract purchased, then you would be eligible to upgrade your licenses to 8.5.