cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to backup without ignore bad sectors or create incrementals on DataCenter x64 systems

RBall
Level 5
I have two W2003 Datacenter x64 SP1 systems running SQL. They are both less than a month old and were both running backups successfully in v7.03. 

After upgrading to v8 I immediately learned that neither will backup unless I choose the advanced feature "Ignore Bad Sectors".  I've checked both systems (Dell R900 with RAID 5) and the drives show clean and are not fragmented.  If I check this Ignore option they both will create Fulls as many times as I wish.

Without the feature checked I get this error...
Cannot create recovery points for job: PSQL1 (C D). Device \\?\SymantecSnapshot1 cannot read 69,608 sectors starting at LBA 512. Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

Now... I thought I'd leave it checked and figure out out by opening a case... but then I learned even with it checked I can not create incrementals, I get this error...

Cannot create recovery points for job: PSQL1 (C D). Unable to create incremental image. Device \\?\SymantecSnapshot1 cannot read 69,912 sectors starting at LBA 136,938,824. Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

My target drive has more than 550GB free and both of the x64 systems are healthy with plenty of free space.

/RB

1 REPLY 1

Rich_L
Level 6
Employee
RBall,

Please contact Symantec Support concerning this issue.
In preparation and to expedite troubleshooting, please gather a SeaST Report.  Advise the technician you have gathered this report in the beginning of the call.  We will need to look over these logs to determine the possible cause.

HOW TO GATHER A SEAST report:
------------------------------------------------------
(1) In Windows Explorer, browse to the location where Backup Exec System Recovery is installed. By default this will be: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery
(2) Explore to the Utility folder.
(3) Run the application file 'SeaST.exe'.
(4) Select the option 'Gather Technical Support Information'.
(5) Find the \Support folder that was created. This subfolder is typically created in the \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Backup Exec System Recovery directory.
(6) Right-click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management. Resize window to show all drives of the system. Use the ALT+Print Screen key combination and MS-Paint to take a screenshot of the disk management window. Save the screen shot as a *.JPG file type in the \Support folder.
(7) Zip up all of the contents of the folder and e-mail it to the requesting Symantec technical support Agent as source_support.zip

RichL