cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to boot from SRD on Dell systems? Solution here..

criley
Employee Accredited

Just a quick update as I know a number of people out there have been affected by this.

We have just found a solution for an issue where booting off the Symantec Recovery Disk (SRD) was not working on some Dell hardware. Details below:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH162698

Hope this helps.

8 REPLIES 8

MarcoLuvisi
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Sorry but the doc link don't work.

It's possible to solve ?

criley
Employee Accredited

Have you tried both SRDs (English and Multilingual)?

What errors are you seeing exactly? What hardware are you using?

MarcoLuvisi
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Chris,

I work with IBM hw, the boot of SRD is ok, but the big problem it's the network don't start.

I have work with the Multilingual package (Italian) and i have make a wizard for creating a custom SRD.

The wizard include a new driver for the NIC finding in the IBM hw... but the SRD don't work correctly.

This recovery test step is very important.

I wait your reply, thanks.

criley
Employee Accredited

OK, so you have a different issue then. The article mentioned above is specific to Dell hardware.

Are you saying that the NIC is not found when booting off the SRD?

Questions:

1. Have you tried manually loading the driver after booting off the SRD? Does this work?
  2. Please confirm which driver you are adding (is it 32 or 64bit and what operating system is the driver for)?

MarcoLuvisi
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Chris, the error message is "impossible start the network services", i dont' know if the SDR don't found the NIC.

1. No, I haven't tried to manual load the NIC driver.

2. Yes, in the wizard of SRD the system automatic add a 64bit drivers and manual i have add a 32bit drivers.

The OS is Windows Server SBS 2011 Standard 64bit.

criley
Employee Accredited

Please try manually loading the drivers via the SRD to see if this works.

You can go into the networking tab on the SRD to check to see if the NIC is detected or not.

MarcoLuvisi
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I have try manually add a driver and now the NIC work with SRD.

Now when try to get to recovery procedure don't find the disk... i search the driver 32bit and 64bit for the RAID ?

criley
Employee Accredited

That's right - again you need to load the appropriate driver (32bit) for the disk controller.