cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to find the Exchange Information File (EIF)

nicolas_zafirio
Level 3
I have installed the trial version of the "Symantec Backup Exec Recovery Granular Restore option". It is version 8.5.1.29668 and it is installed on Symantec's Recovery Server version 8.5.1.29666. Server is 2003R2 Standard Edition SP2. The image data is backedup on a network external drive (western digital) from which I can restore without any problems. On the server I had installed Outlook 2007 which I removed and installed Outlook 2003. However I always get the same error whrn I attempt to open an sv2i image. It finds the file, however when the window "loading Email...." loads, the application tries to mount volume images with NO luck and get the error Unable to find the Exchange Information File (EIF)
7 REPLIES 7

nicolas_zafirio
Level 3
I should add that there's a file "ExchangeBackup.eif in the c:\Backup Information directory. Also "exchange" is installed on the C:drive, the tx logs are also on the c: drive, however the data (*.edb and *.stm) are on another volume: E:drive

Cory_Allen
Level 2

I had a similar problem when I opened the sv2i file initially.  If you look under the backup date drop down box are you able to select the timestamp of your E: backup?  Once I did this it loaded the storage group without any issues.  Our backup includes c: and e: so the sv2i attempts to load the c: backup which does not have the Exchange data or the backup information folder (both on e:).  Hope this helps!

nicolas_zafirio
Level 3
thanks for your input Cory but it didn't work for me. Are you storing your data on an external network drive?

Cory_Allen
Level 2
The Exchange server backs up to a UNC path file share on another server on the same network.  It does a full backup of C: and E: every night creating the C file the E file and the sv2i file on the share.  This essentially creates a "full" backup of the Exchange server for it to work with.  I read somewhere that you have to use full backups for this to work.  Does this apply to your situation??

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Make sure that the *.EIF file listes both the C & E drives as should the *.Sv2i file. Make sure that you are running GRO from a machine running outlook that is not the Exchange server. Please review the following technote: http://support.veritas.com/docs/293323

jreynolds
Level 3

David, I am also having this issue, and none of the solutions have helped. 

Can you suggest anything else? I know that the exchange install and databases are on different volumes on my exchange server, but the backup is doing both drives. I also make sure to open both drives int eh granular restore before hitting the exchange mail tab, but I still get the error.  

Jon_R
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you have access to a different machine, you can try installing GRO somewhere else. There is a document related to this issue when using BESR GRO 8.5.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/314373

This document suggests two possible work arounds if there are no other machines which can house GRO.