cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to read from file

Victor_Negri
Level 2
I'm trying to restore a Windows 2003 Domain Controller image to a VMWare virtual server using the System Recovery Server Boot CD. It looks like it's going to start and then I get an error:

System Restore Wizard
Error E7D1001E: Unable to read from file. Error 00000040: The specified network name is no longer available.

The .v2i files are on the host operating system and I'm browsing to them using a UNC. I've also tried mapping a drive to them.

Please help.
2 REPLIES 2

Vladimir_Vucini
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hi Victor,

VMware support .sv2i image, so you can directly open (or import) V2I image into VMware, there is no need to do it with System Recovery Boot CD. You can use File | Import tool or you can use VMware Importer utility for this.

In your case... from some reason you lost your connection to host OS... did you try to move image somewhere on the network, to some workstation or something like that? What tcp/ip address do you get? Do you set network parameter manually? How is Virtual machine configured, for bridge network or something else? Do you use DHCP?

Victor_Negri
Level 2
I figured it out. I had to switch the network adapter to "Host Only" instead of "Bridge" mode. Apparently, you can't transfer huge files between the host and the virtual OS in bridge mode without it crashing.