cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to set attributes on the .sv2i file

thomascouno
Level 3

Hi,

We are running Windows Server 2011 and backing up to a buffalo NAS drive and have two jobs configured one does our "H" drive, the other does the "C, D, E, G and I" drives.  The backup backs up via a network share \\nasname\sbs-bkup, we have recently been getting the below errors

This error reports twice once for each backup job.

Error EC8F17B6: Cannot update the system index (.sv2i) file.
    Error E7D10016: Unable to set attributes on '//nasshare/sbs-bkup/servername.sv2i'.
        Error EBAB03F1: Following Operating System error occurred while performing requested operation: 'Access is denied.'
        Success.
Details: 
Source: Symantec System Recovery

These errors appear on the backup job success report in the event log and also on our SMTP logs

Info 6C8F1F7E: A scheduled incremental recovery point of drive H:\ was created successfully.
    Error E7D10016: Unable to set attributes on '//nasshare/sbs-bkup/servername.sv2i'.
        Error EBAB03F1: Following Operating System error occurred while performing requested operation: 'Access is denied.'
        Success.
Details: 

Info 6C8F1F7E: A scheduled incremental recovery point of drive G:\ was created successfully.

Success.
Details: 

I found this page "http://www.veritas.com/community/forums/error-ec8f17b6-cannot-update-system-index-sv2i-file” which drew me to this site, unfortunately copying the file onto the server desktop and then back again did not fix the error. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Thomas

19 REPLIES 19

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Try to replace the name of the NAS with its IP adress.

thomascouno
Level 3

Hi Markus,

Thank you for your response.

Do you mean on the backup job destination?

Thanks,

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Yes, sorry for beeing unclear.

thomascouno
Level 3

Hi,

I have attemtped the change the backup location from "networksharename\sbs-bkup" to "my.i.p.address\sbs-bkup" but get the attached error when clicking next after adding the network details.

I am using the same details i used when backing up the network share name and i tested them to confirm.

They are the login details for the NAS drive.

Please advise.

Thomas

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

OK the system is having an active connection to the NAS using the name. You could try to reboot and do the change immediatley afterwards.

thomascouno
Level 3

Hi,

I rebooted the NAS and tried the \\ip\share which gave the same error above.

I then tried to create a new backup job to the same location, with the same error.

Thanks,

thomascouno
Level 3

Update.

The server has also been rebooted and i get the same error when attempting to change the destingation from \\nasname\share to \\ip\share.

Note - Im not sure if this is related but we did change the name of the NAS a month or so back, could this be contrubuting to the issue?  Im not sure if the .sv2i file issue was happening right after the change.

Thanks,

Ovi_I
Level 4

Try like this, ip or name:  \\ip\yourfolder$

That $ might help you.

thomascouno
Level 3

Hi,

I tried the above both via name and IP neither work on the SSR console, it kept asking me for the login details.

I then tried to access the path via "run" and it did not work.

Thanks,

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Did you already try to create a second backup job just for testing purposes?

thomascouno
Level 3

Hi,

Yes i attempted to create the job again to the IP\sharename, but got the same error as i attached above.

Thanks,

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

OK, then can you try to run net use * /d /y as System on this machine?

thomascouno
Level 3

Hi,

Sorry for my delayed response, i have been away.

Please could you go into more deatil on your above update?  I dont understand.

Thanks,

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

I assume that the SSR service runs as SYSTEM. So my idea is to disconnect all network drives that SYSTEM has mapped to get rid of the error you posted on the 17th.

thomascouno
Level 3

Thanks,

Im still not 100% on how to do the above.

Please advise what other effects this will have on the server.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

It won't have any other effects.

thomascouno
Level 3

Great thanks for the confirmation.

Please advise how/where i need to run the command.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

1.) get psexec from live.sysinternals.com

2.) run psexec -s cmd

3.) In this console enter: net use * /d /y

thomascouno
Level 3

Hi Markus,

Applogies i did not get any notification to say the post had been updated.

The client has decided to move to a hosted server environment, so will be will decomisioning the server and NAS box.

Thanks for you help anyway.

Kind Regards,