cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding "timeout option" in pre/post execution commands

ITGS
Level 3

Product: SBESR 2010 for SBS Server installed on a SBS 2003 Standard.

I created one backup job running one time a day that make a complete backup of the hard drive.

More... I created a batch file to backup some specific directory on a rev unit and then shut down the server.

I put this batch in the "post" command to execute after the backup execution.

Making some tests, I noticed that server shutting down too early (there are many file to backup).

It seem that SBESR don't wait the end of the batch but refeer to "time out" value present in the configuration backup section.

Maybe I'm wrong or is it correct ?

Thank you for support

3 REPLIES 3

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The timeout value specifes the amount of time (in seconds) that a command file is allowed to run. The command file to shutdown should be at the stage when the image file creation is complete, not after the snapshot creation stage.

ITGS
Level 3

Thank you Andy for your reply.

I put the command file like you suggested (after the image file creation).

If I understand your reply, there is no way to run a command file without time out ?

I can't determine how many time the batch file need to run, because before shutting down the server it run some file syncronisation on an external unit.

So.... how can I run a command file waiting the end of execution before proceed to next step in the backup job ?

Thank you

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You cannot disable the timeout window. Also, the command line is considered finished once all lines of the command file are complete. If the system is shutting down prematurely, it sounds like you might want to increase the SHUTDOWN time to overcompensate, as it sounds like the system is starting to shutdown before the sync is complete.