cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected VSS Writer Error (E4F3000F)

dmagnant
Level 3

Hello,

I have a particular workstation running Windows 10 with System Recovery 2016 that had been backing up regularly until two months ago.  For the past two months, backups have been failing with;

Error E4F3000F:  Unexpected VSS writer error.  Check the application event log for writer specific error.  Failed VSS writers: BITS Writer.

In earlier versions there seems to have been a hotfix issued for this error.  Is there a known fix, of sorts, for VSR 16?

Thank You,

Dale

3 REPLIES 3

criley
Employee Accredited

@dmagnant

No known fix that I'm aware of for this for VSR 16 although worth checking in Help/About to see what service pack level you are on for VSR 16.

I would also suggest looking in the Windows Application event log for the exact error. Then go from there.

Criley,

Thank you for the response.  I opted to simply uninstall VSR 16 and install VSR 18.  Seems to be working ok - so far.

Are you aware of whether there is a fix for this error in VSR 18 that is not present in VSR 16?

Thank You,

Dale

criley
Employee Accredited

@dmagnant

Are you aware of whether there is a fix for this error in VSR 18 that is not present in VSR 16?

I'm not, no. Be aware that most VSS related issues are nothing to do with the product (VSR) but are more likely something to do with the system itself (as VSS is part of the operating system).

But good to hear that it seems to be working now.