cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade BESR 2010 9.0.1.36527 to SP2? Not in LU

Formula84
Level 3

I have a fex clients with 9.0.1.36527 installed, noticed SP2 was out.  On the first client I logged in went to about and there was a live update button, it ran but said everything was up to date.  Another wierd thing was another client did not have the Live Update Button at all even though it says its installed if I go to modify the install.

Question is I have downloaded the BESR_2010_9.0.2.37914_Multilingual_Product.zip (full package), can I just run this over the top?  Is there a upgrade procedure, like stop certain services, etc?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

Question is I have downloaded the BESR_2010_9.0.2.37914_Multilingual_Product.zip (full package), can I just run this over the top?  Is there a upgrade procedure, like stop certain services, etc?

Yes, you can install directly over the top. There are no specific upgrade steps - just follow the prompts.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, you can install directly over the top. There are no specific upgrade steps - just follow the prompts.

Hope that helps.

Formula84
Level 3

Thanks Chris I'll try it tonight...

Paul_Ross
Level 2

LiveUpdate updated the version to 9.0.2 automatically on my DC's and Exchange 2010 server, but not on any other servers.

Inplace upgrade only worked on ONE server, not on any others... had to to do uninstalls then reinstalls....

Just shouldn't be that difficult..... :(

criley
Employee Accredited

LiveUpdate updated the version to 9.0.2 automatically on my DC's and Exchange 2010 server, but not on any other servers.

At the moment, you can only update to 9.0.2 via LiveUpdate for 32bit machines. There is an issue with x64 that is currently being worked on.

dale_m1
Level 4

Hello,

I have eight servers running BESR 2010, three at 9.0.0 and five at SP1 (9.0.1).  Five of these servers are 32 bit, the remaining three are 64 bit. 

In accordance with quote from above,

At the moment, you can only update to 9.0.2 via LiveUpdate for 32bit machines. There is an issue with x64 that is currently being worked on.

I tried running LiveUpdate to bring at least the 32 bit machines up to SP2.  I find that Live Update fails to update any of these servers - period.  (Running Live Update on a 32 bit XP workstation, on the other hand, did update to SP2)

Based on the Live Update failures and the mixed experience others have cited running SP2 over earlier versions, is the safest, surest way to bring server systems up to SP2 then to uninstall BESR 2010 and do a complete clean install of SP2?

(Later Edit - I tried running SP2 over one of the 32 bit SP1 server systems.  The installation seemed to proceed normally.  It concluded with the VProSvc.exe service stopped (and no taskbar icon) and no prompt to restart.  I restarted the system and BESR started.  I checked the version number - no SP2, still SP1.  At this point, maybe I'll simply wait for SP3)

To anyone at Symantec who may be listening, rest assured, the frustration factor with this product is high.

Thank You

criley
Employee Accredited

Based on the Live Update failures and the mixed experience others have cited running SP2 over earlier versions, is the safest, surest way to bring server systems up to SP2 then to uninstall BESR 2010 and do a complete clean install of SP2?

It should not be necessary to do an uninstall. Installing SP2 over the top of an existing 9.0.0/9.0.1 installation should be enough.

I restarted the system and BESR started.  I checked the version number - no SP2, still SP1.  At this point, maybe I'll simply wait for SP3).

Interesting. You are the second person that has mentioned this. What operating system are you seeing this on?

TxTarheel
Not applicable

I had to uninstall on Windows 2008 and reinstall for SP2 to load on one server.  Even the servers running Win2k3 with the BESR agent failed to detect through LiveUpdate that SP2 was out.  The BESR server is Win2k3 and LiveUpdate said there was not an update for this server either.  It's like LiveUpdate had no idea about SP2 or SP1 for that matter.  I've had to download for both SP's.  This version, 2010, has been buggy at best, not even close to 8.5 (which had a much better management console, I hate the web version).  I have one server running Win2k8 64bit with Exchange 2k7 and the agent did get pushed down to it, however, I cannot connect to or manage that client.

Anyone else had issues connecting to remote agents even though the agent is installed and running?  DCOM is running as well.

TIA.

Mike

dale_m1
Level 4

Chris,

In response to your question in your 7 December post -

Of the five 32 bit servers on which Live Update fails to update, 3 are running Win Server 2003 Std. SP2 while the other two are running Win Server 2003 R2 Std. SP2.

The server on which I tried running BESR SP2 over the existing BESR SP1 (with no resulting version update) was one of these five servers and I am all but certain it was one of the three R2 machines.

For what it's worth, all of these servers are also running SEP 11 RU5.  Though, the XP workstation that I mentioned, which actually did update to BESR SP2 via live update, is also running SEP 11 RU5.

Thank You,

Dale