cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from Ghost 15 to System Recovery 2013 Desktop

dmcmillen
Level 4

I am currently running Ghost 15 on my Win 7 pc.  I am replacing my pc with a new computer so it looks like I will have to install System Recovery 2013 Desktop on my new machine (will be win 7 also).  A couple of questions: 

(1) How do I purchase an upgrade version of SSR 2013 since I am really ungrading from Ghost? 

(2) Does SSR recognize Ghost 15 recovery points? 

(3)  How does the recovery to disparate hardware work?   How good is it really;  I mean we're talking about the HAL here.  What kind of problems can I expect to have if I go that route?  Would I have to backup my current machine with SSR which would mean I would have to upgrade from Ghost to SSR 1st and from what I've read it is better to remove Ghost 1st and then install SSR??  Acronis has a similar product for recovery to disparate hw and the results are pretty mixed for it. Works for some and not for others.

(4) How does SSR handle Win7 System Reserve partition backup and recovery compared to Ghost. 

Well that's more than a couple of questions so thanks for your thoughts here. 

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

If the reserved partition is part of the recovery point set, SSR will take care of that.

View solution in original post

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It is recommended to completely uninstall Ghost 15 before upgrading your system to SSR 2013 R2. Uninstalling Ghost will not cause you to lose your recovery points\backup images, which can be used to restore your system at anytime.

After installing 2013 R2, you may have to create a new backups job.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, Ghost is very similar to the SSR interface. The transition should be quite simple. 

There was a Ghost upgrade promotion for quite a while. Call customer support if you'd like to see if there are any other offers going on. I don't know if there is, but they definately would. 

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Afaik ghost will see the files.

10 REPLIES 10

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

1) First have look here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ssr-2013-desktop-discount-code-ghost-users; Additionally you might call the licensing deparment for this question:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO42310

2) Yes: http://community.norton.com/forums/ssr-and-ghost-15-files

3) We used it to criss-cross install P2P und P2V from Hyper-V, VMWare to various models of IBM xSeries machines without any problem

4) What you mean exaclty? As long as you include the system reserved partition in the backup job everything works as expected - at least with us.

dmcmillen
Level 4

Thanks for the info Markus.  For some reason I'm not getting email notification of posts so I'm a bit late here.  My question regarding the reserved partition is because in Ghost you must 1st recover the reserved partition to the recovery disk and then recover the actual C drive to a separte remaining  partition.  It's not automatic.  I was wondering if it was more automated in SSR.

I'm going to make a separate post regarding how to accomplish the migration from my old machine to my new hw using recover anywhere.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

If the reserved partition is part of the recovery point set, SSR will take care of that.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It is recommended to completely uninstall Ghost 15 before upgrading your system to SSR 2013 R2. Uninstalling Ghost will not cause you to lose your recovery points\backup images, which can be used to restore your system at anytime.

After installing 2013 R2, you may have to create a new backups job.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any questions still open?

dmcmillen
Level 4

Still have to uninstall Ghost and install SSR Desktop. (In order to be able to create my SRD so I can then transition to my new machine via RA).  Am I to understand that SSR has the same look and feel as Ghost?  Does SSR automatically see all my Ghost backups (.v2i and iv2i) and what about the .sv2i files. 

I have been a Ghost user personally and in business for over 20 years -- in fact back when we dealt with Peter Norton.  I know there are 1000's of personal Ghost users out there.  I am quite curious as to why Symantec would not provide an upgrade path from Ghost to SSR.  I find that to be an interesting decision.  It looks to me like Ghost was discontinued and replaced by SSR but with no upgrade path.  Was Symantec going to provide a separate recovery solution for individuals as opposed to businesses?  To my knowledge, that has not been done.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, Ghost is very similar to the SSR interface. The transition should be quite simple. 

There was a Ghost upgrade promotion for quite a while. Call customer support if you'd like to see if there are any other offers going on. I don't know if there is, but they definately would. 

dmcmillen
Level 4

Thanks Andy.  I wasn't referring to the cost but the actual installation.  I've already purchased SSR at a discount.  I find it amazing that I have to uninstall Ghost before installing SSR.  I would have expected that to be an upgrade.  What about my questions regarding the existing Ghost backups:  "Does SSR automatically see all my Ghost backups (.v2i and iv2i) and what about the .sv2i files."  Thanks for your help!

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Afaik ghost will see the files.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Any updates here?