cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from BESR 8.0 Trial to BESR 8.0 Full

JamesTh
Not applicable
Hi all,

I downloaded the trial version of BESR 8.0 (Desktop Edition) direct from the Symantec website, and it worked fine.  The trial license ended a few days ago, and so I bought BESR 8.0 Desktop edition directly from Symantec website. 

I have just received my license keys, and support agreement, but when I open BESR, and go to the Help menu, then the License option is greyed out.  How can I enter the new full license key?

If I do need to uninstall/reinstall from the CDs, then will it keep all of my current backup settings, and backup files on my external harddisk, and append to my existing backup files, rather than start totally from scratch?

Many thanks

James

Message Edited by JamesTh on 05-07-2008 04:30 AM
3 REPLIES 3

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

To be sure that you have backup copies of your backup jobs and history, you can do one of two things,

1st  - Stop the Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR) Service in windows services and copy out the ‘Schedule’ and ‘History’ sub-folders from \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery sub-directory.

2nd – Run the SEAST utility located in the \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Utility sub-folder and keep a copy of the *.CAB file that it generates; your history and job files would be located in this *.CAB file.

When you uninstall, choose to retain your history and job files for future use option. Once rebooted, install the full media package, reboot again, and open the console. Upon startup it should ask for your product key. Once in the console verify your settings. If they are not correct, stop the BESR service and re-insert your Schedule and History files from your backups into their original locations.

OSCARAOCK
Level 2
Partner
I have a similar problem, but I´ve installed a new server but when I try to backup an old client with expired licence I cant connect with that client. How I can update the license of the client if I cant open the interface

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
It is not recommended nor supported using the BESR console/UI to connect and administer clients of an older/newer version then that of a console. Can the local expired agent’s console allow it to see the agent? Can you uninstall the agent and through the new console push out a new agent?