cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using BESR 2010 / 2013 with a NAS (Icybox brand)

RMcP
Level 3

Anyone have experience of doing a boack, offsite or other method with BESR 20134 and a NAS device?

I an trying belt and braces,

1,. An external drive via  a USB sock, this works fine. and.

2. A NAS box over a network.

Option 2 is the problem, I have contacted support but they were unable to help. If anyone has experience of similar I wouls aporeciate help.

I can set up and configure the NAS to accept the backup, paths, user ids and passwords, but when it comes to running a backup to it, it fails.

(I will update this post with those codes later) If anyone has tried a NAS backup and couold help, I'd be very happy.

Thanks. P.

22 REPLIES 22

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Your choice of NAS should (normally!) be governed by the BE Hardware Compatibility List as this is what Symantec has tested and vetted as working with BE.

I've never seen Icybox on the HCL (any of them) and this is probably why you're getting lukewarm support.

It isn't a finality it won't work, but Symantec isn't obligated to assist if you have unsupported hardware.

However, if the NAS can do iSCSI, then try and see if this works.

Check the BE 2010 R3 HCL below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH137050

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Do post your SSR problems in the SSR forum below https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/forums/symantec-system-recovery-formerly-backup-exec-system-recovery

RMcP
Level 3
Do post your SSR problems in the SSR forum below Is this in the wrong place, I can't really tell. I did my best.

RMcP
Level 3

Thanks Craig, suppose I should have been aware of a compatibility list. But you don't think about it at the time.

"However, if the NAS can do iSCSI, then try and see if this works"

Translate please? I did 'ask' Google but the explanation was beyond any (little) knowlege that I have.

R..

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

What is the exact error you are getting when the backup occurs? You can see the error in the SSR Event logs (open the console, click the ADVANCED tab, then EVENT LOG in the left pane), and also in the Application event logs. 

criley
Employee Accredited

The question is about SSR, not BE.

SSR only has an SCL, not an HCL. In theory, any disk-based device should work with SSR.

RMcP
Level 3

Thank you Andreas, I'm not currently at the location of the device - but I will check the logs later and list exeactly what happens.

R.

RMcP
Level 3

SSR only has an SCL, not an HCL. In theory, any disk-based device should work with SSR.

? Sorry Chris, I have no idea what any of that means.

I had on the PC(s) BESR2010, I then did an upgrade to SSR2013 (which appears to function in a similar way.)

I am not a competent user of this s/w, so all the acronyms you're using mean zilch to me. Sorry.

Later (when on the other site) I will list (as mentioned to Andreas) exactly what happens, with error messages.

Thanks.

criley
Employee Accredited

SCL: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH201318

The HCL (which we have for Backup Exec) is the hardware version of the above document.

RMcP
Level 3

So SCL = Software compatibility list

HCL = Hardware compatibility list. Lovely acronyms, when you know what they are...

Even with this, I still don't know how to make SSR2013 backup to my NAS device, it woudl seem not to be on the list of supported devices. This is just a Faff looking at these lists.

In future what I will do is to run usual backup from SSR WTF and Drag / copy the backup to the NAS. or just manually copy the files to it.

I was hoping this would be a simple exercise, unfortunately its just driven me to drink.

Thanks anyway.

RMcP
Level 3

RMcP
Level 3

Theory and practise, ne'er the twain shall meet :)

criley
Employee Accredited

My initial response was actually to CraigV - I just wanted to confirm to him that this was posted for SSR and not BE (different products).

As Andreas mentioned, if you can provide the actual error(s) that are seen, we should be able to help you.

RMcP
Level 3

Sorry for any confusion. Will repeat process later tonight to obtain errors.

Thanks.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Chris,

The OP initially tagged this as BE, hence the confusion. It seems to have been moved after I posted, and I've been on holiday...hence looking like I answered with the wrong product.

Thanks!

criley
Employee Accredited

Craig,

OK, understood. Happy new year!

RMcP
Level 3

Update:

I set up the NAS with a folder for the backup to go into.

When I try to run it (as a one off for example) it tells me it is not a valid location (it is!) and it is not a valid location (it is!)

I also get these error codes.

- ErrorE1AD436D (path of the folder)  is not a valid location and is not a valid destination.

- Error E7D10026 Unable to get attributes for (path of the file)

- Error EBAB03F1 Following operating system error occurred while performing requested operation The specified server cannot perform the requested operation

(UMI-V281-429-172610

There is a user id and login for the NAS, which IS correct so it's not a login failure as far as I can tell.

If anyone can help at all with this., I'dr really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

RMcP - Can you reply and attach the C:\ProgramData\Symantec\SYMANTEC SYSTEM RECOVERY\LOGS\Symantec System Recovery 2013.dbg log? This will give us more detail about the network error.

criley
Employee Accredited

What path are you using when you specify the backup destination in SSR? Hostname or IP address? Have you tried both to see if anything changes?

The logs may tell us more (as Andreas has already mentioned).