cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Backup Exec within an image

eddythorn
Level 2

I am creating a Windows 7 image and want to include BESR 11.x on it (in addition to other programs) - this will then be deployed to several hundred computers over time.  I know that for other software I need to delete the GUID so that once the computer is on the network there isn't an issue with duplication, activation, registration, etc. - similar to running Sysprep for Windows.

My question:  Is there a similar GUID for BESR 11.x that needs to be deleted before creating my image?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RLeon
   VIP   

I have sysprep'd Windows images with SSR 2011 pre-installed. They deployed and worked without problems.
It haven't tried this with previous versions like BESR 11.x, though I'd imagine it should work the same.

The issue you described usually happens with applications that are heavily network based, and require unique identities (via GUID or something else) across the network.

Unless you are centrally managing SSR with the SSR2011 Management Solution, you do not have to worry about that.
And if you are using the SSR2011 Management Solution, then officially you shouldn't pre-install SSR inside a sysprep'd image anyway. You should use package deployment policies from the management server to install SSR to client computers across the domain.

The SSR Management Solution is free but you have to install it on a dedicated server. Essentially it is an Altiris Management Platform Notification Server with SSR Management running as one of its "solutions".

If you are actually talking about the Backup Exec agent (Remote Agent for Windows Servers, or RAWS), and not BESR/SSR, then the answer is that you cannot sysprep with RAWS pre-installed. It will not work. You should push install RAWS from the BE server.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Not to my knowledge and my experience !

RLeon
   VIP   

I have sysprep'd Windows images with SSR 2011 pre-installed. They deployed and worked without problems.
It haven't tried this with previous versions like BESR 11.x, though I'd imagine it should work the same.

The issue you described usually happens with applications that are heavily network based, and require unique identities (via GUID or something else) across the network.

Unless you are centrally managing SSR with the SSR2011 Management Solution, you do not have to worry about that.
And if you are using the SSR2011 Management Solution, then officially you shouldn't pre-install SSR inside a sysprep'd image anyway. You should use package deployment policies from the management server to install SSR to client computers across the domain.

The SSR Management Solution is free but you have to install it on a dedicated server. Essentially it is an Altiris Management Platform Notification Server with SSR Management running as one of its "solutions".

If you are actually talking about the Backup Exec agent (Remote Agent for Windows Servers, or RAWS), and not BESR/SSR, then the answer is that you cannot sysprep with RAWS pre-installed. It will not work. You should push install RAWS from the BE server.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Altiris...  I cringe when I hear that word.  

RLeon
   VIP   

It's ok, it's called the Symantec Management Platform now...
**reassuring pat on the shoulder**

eddythorn
Level 2

Thank you all for input.