Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VProConsole has encountered a problem

Kevin_Morris
Level 2
Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 8.5 Server Edition - version 8.5.3.31483

Get following message when trying to use the console:

"Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery VProConsole has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."

"If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost."

There are no message in any event log.  We have tried reinstalling, uninstalling (full), reinstalling, applying SP3.  Tried some suggestions found for roughly similar problems referenced in KB and this forum.  Even Goolge did not know the answer.  Have not tried Bing....ummm.

Remote consoles also can not connect to backup service.  Backups are still being produced.  There is no firewall running.   Running Symantec AntiVirus version 10.1.8.000.

The same machine configuration is running on 2 other similarly configured servers.

Thanks,
Kevin
6 REPLIES 6

LukeW
Level 4
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/symantec-backup-exec-system-recovery-vproconsole-has-encountered-problem-and-needs-close

I assume you have looked at the above?

Kevin_Morris
Level 2
I had seen the suggestion but did not do anything as my repository looked good. After reading your question I created a new repository. The console error message remains the same.

A few questions:
If I had truly uninstalled "all" of BESR, then whey did the install procedure not ask for a license number?

What is the latest version of BESR? I see BE 10, 11, and 12 mentioned in the forum but 8.5 is the latest trialware available for download for the server.

marcogsp
Level 6
Kevin -- the version numbers you reference in the last sentence are Backup Exec for Windows Server version numbers.  Backup Exec System Recovery is now at version 8.5.5.  although version 8.5.3 is still commonly installed as a recent version. My workstation is currently retrieving the  8.5.5 version through LiveUpdate.  See if you can get get this update as well and see if that makes a difference

Kevin_Morris
Level 2
I updated using LiveUpdate.  Now I get an error dialog message when logging in that I did not get before:

-----------------------
Error signature:
-----------------------
szAppName: VProTray.exe   szAppVer:8.5.5.33937  szModeName: VProTray.exe
szModVer: 8.5.5.33937    offset:0013775b
-----------------------

Console still does not connect.

marcogsp
Level 6
Open the registry editor and in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\

Change the following entries to the listed values: (Please export values brfore changing for quick recovery)

TrayMessageFilter  0

TrayOptions  FALSE

TrayVisibility  FALSE

Restart the system.

This will disable the tray icon  (VProTray.exe) in order to check for tray icon interference with the console startup

Kevin_Morris
Level 2
Thanks but too late.  I had to restore machine from image to get backup working.  The restore was painless....