cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VProSvc.exe uses 25% CPU for several hours when no Symantec System Recovery 2013 Backup event is running

Polar_Bear
Level 3

I create image type backups using Symantec System Recovery 2013 each night on the local machine. The backups run in off hours and are completed by the time I use the computer each morning; however, as of recently (possibly coincidental to the last Microsoft Patch Tuesday???) the VProSvc.exe service module uses 25% of CPU capacity for several hours after the backup process has completed. After several hours of this behaviour the CPU use of VProSvc.exe eventually drops to a low level (e.g. 2%) and stays at that low level until the cycle repeats the next day.

The home screen on Symantec System Recover 2013 indicates "ready" when VProSvc.exe is running and hovering over the taskbar icon gives the message, "Status: Backed Up". 

I am seeking advice as to why VProSvc.exe is using such high CPU resources for such a long period and what I might do to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance for any insight you might have.

2 REPLIES 2

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You mentioned the Microsoft patch - did this start happening after a MS update occured?

Polar_Bear
Level 3

I first noticed this issue shortly after applying last month's MS Update. I can't say for certain that there is a cause and effect relationship between the MS Update and the described issue, but I mentioned the MS Update because it is just about the only significant system change that I can recall that happened in proximity to the onset of this issue. I upgraded from Norton Ghost to Symantec System Recovery Desktop Edition 2013 a few months ago, but I think that this issue only developed sometime in the last month.