cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSR 16 Hangs between 80-90% during backup

garylsewell
Level 3

This just started yesterday. During a normal backup (Full or Incremental) backup, the backup will hang between 80-90%. I have uninstalled the product and re-installed it but have the same problem. It has worked fine for months. Ran Live Update but it stated no new updates were ready, but I just noticed the new SP1. Have not installed it yet.

Any thoughts?

Gary

11 REPLIES 11

criley
Employee Accredited

@garylsewell

I would suggest looking in the Windows event logs (System & Application) at the time the backup hangs to see if there are any errors or warnings.

What are you using for backup destination? What volume(s) are you backing up?

Yes, try SP1 (reboot required) to see if that helps.

I have looked in both logs and nothing. I have tried to backup both my C and D drive backing up to another local E drive, and an external USB drive, all with the same results. When I downloaded what I thought was the SP1 and tried to run it, but  I got an error that stated that it was not for this release. I downloaded build 16.0.1_56016. Is that the latest? Also can you send me the link to SP1?

Also, got one backup to complete on my C drive late yesterday after it hung at 82% for about an hour, then it finished. Tried my D drive a few minutes later (about 400GB of data) and it too hung at about 70%, and never finished. Had to kill process and reboot to clean up system.

This weekend Windows did a lot of update patches on my computer, so I don't know it this is the problem. In the mean time I have turned off all backup jobs with VSR and gone to EaseUS backup, which is working just fine. I still hope to get VSR to work. I have been using this series of products years, back when it was Ghost 12.

Gary

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, 16.0.1 is the latest.

If you look in Help/About, what is shown for the product version?

That is the version I have

Gary

criley
Employee Accredited

OK, so you have SP1 already then.

When the issue occurs, if you look at Progress and Performance (via the system tray icon), what does it show?

All that is on that windows are the "bits" flying from the left drive to the one on the right, the green progress bar is redrawing, but not moving,, and the percentage number is stuck at some value. This value is never the same between runs.

Also, when I kill the process via Task Manager, it does die, but when I go and try to restart computer, Windows says that the VSR processes are still running. When I tell the computer to restart anyway, the computer is now locked in a rebooting cycle. I have to press the manual reboot button on the computer to restart. I have tried to kill the VSR services, but htis does not work either.

Gary

criley
Employee Accredited

OK, to be honest, I think openining a support case is probably the next step then. The debug logs will need to be looked at in order to figure out what is going on here.

I called them yesterday and was told that my contract expired back in Feb and had to pay to get back on support. Right now I am not going to throw money at this, not knowing if and when it is going to be fixed. Over the years I have not seen good things from Norton, Symantec, and now Veritas when it comes to fixing problems.

Thanks,

Gary

criley
Employee Accredited

Sorry to hear about your previous experiences.

I just want to point out that this may not be a product issue; as you mentioned before, this was working.... maybe some Windows updates caused this. We don't know yet.

If you provide logs (http://www.veritas.com/docs/000097768), I can take a look.... but I cannot provide any guarantees that we'll be able to resolve this via these forums. If you provide logs, please provide some details about date/time that the issue last occurred.

Well yesterday and today, I loaded a clean build of Windows 10 x64, applied all hotfixes and patches. Reinstalled all apps and ran the VSR. It has worked like a champ. Not sure what the problem was, but I hope it does not come back. Thanks for all help.

Gary

criley
Employee Accredited

@garylsewell

Thanks for the update and good to hear ..