cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSR support SAN boot backup and restore?

mk128935
Level 5
Employee

Does System Recovery support backup and restore of SAN boot environment? Let's say Server A boots its OS (C drive) from a SAN storage A and also data drive (D drive) is also placed on this SAN storage A. We use System Recovery to take a full image backup of the system partition and data drive. We restore from this backup to the same Server A only the SAN storage is different (let's say B). Can System Recovery handle this? My guess is if we're restoring back to the same SAN storage (A), it might work but since the SAN storage is a different one, there's probably going to be some driver issues and the system won't boot up. Any ideas or experience on this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, I would recommend you test this out before relying on it for a production environment.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

criley
Employee Accredited

@mk128935 

Linux version does not support this (https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100026525.html) but as far as I know, the Windows version does.

mk128935
Level 5
Employee

Thanks for the reply. Windows might work? I'm wondering how the recovery point containing the drivers for the old SAN storage would work with the new SAN storage attached. I guess we'll have to try this out...

criley
Employee Accredited

Yes, I would recommend you test this out before relying on it for a production environment.