Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSR18 (SP1) - Unable to connect to the agent. Service not running

Gonad
Level 4

VSR has recently stopped working. When I right-click the Tray icon it says:

Unable to connect to the agent. Service not running

If I click on "Reconnect", the Veritas System Recovery service starts, the disks are scanned, and then it fails and displays the same error message. The service then stops.

The Event Viewer is also displaying lots of Virtual Disk Service errors:

Unexpected provider failure. Restarting the service may fix the problem. Error code: 8007001F@02000014

Uninstalling and reinstalling has made no difference.

Backup and Restore (Windows 7) backs up an image OK without any problems (if that's any use).

Can anyone suggest what I should try next. Any help greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

criley
Employee Accredited

@Gonad

It sounds as though the service is crashing but, if that was true, I would expect to see some entries in the Windows application event logs - anything in there that suggests a VSR service crash?

Chris,

When I try a "Reconnect" the only thing I see in the Event Viewer Applications log is:

Faulting application name: VProSvc.exe, version: 18.0.1.56582, time stamp: 0x5b351897
Faulting module name: VProObj.dll, version: 18.0.1.56582, time stamp: 0x5b351721
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000a151f
Faulting process ID: 0x22bc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d467a1029679e3
Faulting application path: c:\Program Files\Veritas\Veritas System Recovery\Agent\VProSvc.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Veritas Shared\VProRecovery\VProObj.dll
Report ID: 80a012bb-a7c1-4c40-9538-78dae0d5b4ac
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Does that help?

criley
Employee Accredited

@Gonad

Thanks. So this matches a known issue with the product: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100043634.html

Can you please open a support case so that we can get the fix to you. If you can reply back here with the case number, I can contact you directly via the support case.

Chris,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. However, before I read your last message I decided to try one more thing. This time when I uninstalled, I chose to remove the data and settings as well.

After a re-install everything is now working again although I'll have to reconfigure.

I think I'll leave it at that for now and eagerly await SP2 :)

Thanks anyway.