cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSS Shadow Copy Insufficient Space

CQ
Level 5

Hi,

I have 2 Dell computers (Win 10 Pro 1803) that both have a partition needed by VSR for a proper restore but lack sufficient space for a shadow copy.  VSR will not allow the creation of a recovery set if you try to include that partition.  VSR suggests making an independent recovery point of the partition and do not include it in the recovery point set.  VSR also warns you that that partition is needed when you configure the recovery point set but offers the ability to proceed without it.  I know an alternative is to expand the partition but I really don't want to mess with that.  Some questions:

1. If I make an independent backup of the partition in question and run a recovery point set on the other partitions, am I OK in the case of a system failure?  Will the sv2i file properly configure the full restore?

2. Is there a proper order for the backups?  My thought would be to always do the recovery point set AFTER the independent backup to create a proper sv2i file.

Thanks for any info on this.  Never had an issue until this latest purchase of these 2 Dell machines.

CQ

6 REPLIES 6

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

criley
Employee Accredited

@CQ

Backing up critical partitions required for restore in a different backup job (i.e. independent) will make things slightly complicated when it comes to full system restores, so I would recommend you look to try and resolve this.

If you go to C:\Program Files\Veritas\Veritas System Recovery\Utility and run SmeDump.exe, this will generate a file called debug.txt in the same folder. Can you attach that to this thread - this will tell us which partition doesn't have enough space.

@Markus_Koestler

I don't think Windows 10 provides the ability to use the add shadowstorage command.

@criley

I have attached the debug file for one of the computers.  I just realized the image partition (OEM) is not necessary for the OS but lacks space for VSS.  Unfortunately, the other pc is in the field and I will try to get it back in the office in a few days.  I know for a fact that machine has an OEM partition (lacking VSS space) that is necessary for OS recovery and that partition is in between other partitions.

1. Everything I have read indicates VSS storage can not be moved in Win 10 Pro.  Only works with server OS. Too bad..

2. Chris, you indicate a restore would be "slightly complicated".  Please give details on the necessary steps and what would be involved.

3.  I realize 3rd party software exits to move and modify partitions.  Without going into details, I had a bad experience using this type of software and would like to avoid the use if possible.  It is frustrating that Dell even makes this discussion necessary.

Thanks,

CQ

criley
Employee Accredited

@CQ

Are you saying that you have identified that the 'Image' partition is the cause here? I can see that it is 14.3GB with 13.7GB in use. If this is the cause of the failure, is it not possible to free up some space as VSS needs at least 10% free in order to create a snapshot. I agree that it's frustrating that Dell have not considered this although is the intention that this partition needs backing up? (you'd need to check with Dell I think)

As for point #2, I'm not sure because I've never run into this scenario before. When restoring from a single backup set, you just select the sv2i file and off you go... with multiple backups, this would not be possible.

@criley

The image file is not necessary but if you ever want to roll your machine back to factory "out of the box", you do need that partition.

I think the sv2i file handles more than you think.  A quick story.  A few months ago I had a laptop (efi) running Win 10 Pro.  The laptop had a small Dell diagnostic partition that could not be included in a recovery set.  That partition was periodically backed up with an independent backup to a folder called diagnostic.  The rest of the partitions were backed up regularly with a recovery set to a folder called os.  Unfortunately, the hard drive died on the computer and I had to replace it with a new one.  For the restore process, I chose the sv2i file and ALL the partitions were restored including the diagnostic.  The sv2i file knew where everything was even though the diagnostic was in its own folder.  The sv2i file used was from the recovery set which had a backup more recent than the last independent diagnostic backup.

A few hours ago, as a test, I created an independent backup of my image partition to a folder called image. I followed this an hour later with a recovery set backup of the other partitions to a folder called os.  Both of these folders reside in a folder called M15.  I then booted the pc into Veritas recovery mode with a usb and picked the sv2i file from the recovery set.  The system showed all the partitions including the diagnostic.  It showed the recovery set partitions as 2 hours old and showed the image partition as 3 hours old.  This is consistent with what I saw with the old pc that needed a new hard drive. For obvious reasons, I did not start the actual restore.

Comments?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

How about this: Run a cold backup of the OEM partition once but a regular backup job of all the other partitions?