cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas SSR 16 - Error 100 Failed VSS writer - Any chance of notification?

kahml
Level 4
Partner Accredited

It seems that a client's machine has been experiencing the following error for several days:

Error EC8F17B&: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of Recovery (*:\), OS (C:\).

Error E4F3000F: Unexpected VSS writer error. Check the application even log for writer specific errors. Failed VSS writers: BITS Writer (UMI-V-281-3215-6071).

It would be extremely helpful to know that this has failed so that either the appropriate services could be restarted or the desktop rebooted.

Is there any chance that in the new 18 version some kind of notification mechanism exists?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

criley
Employee Accredited

@kahml

There are already notification options in VSR 16. You could setup SMTP notifications for example (tasks-options-smtp email).

kahml
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I thought, according to this thread (https://vox.veritas.com/t5/System-Recovery/Getting-SMTP-to-work-with-Veritas-System-Recovery-16-SP2/...), that the SMTP functionality was not going to be available until the 18 version.

Backups haven't taken place for over a week now because of these errors, and I don't like having to explain that to a client.  It makes the case for going for an upgrade harder than it has to be.  "Oh, well, the functionality that you used to have wasn't in this version, but it is supposed to be there in the next one."

criley
Employee Accredited

@kahml

So you are talking about SMTP support for TLS/SSL, right?

That support is in VSR 18. SP1 for VSR 18 is due out in a couple of weeks. I would recommend you wait for this, then give it a try to confirm it works for your client(s).