cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas System Recovery 16 - available now!

criley
Employee Accredited

Veritas System Recovery (VSR) 16 is now available.

New features in VSR 16 include:

• Support for Windows Server 2016
  • Support for SQL 2016
  • Support for vSphere 6.5 (* currently no support for P2V functionality)
  • Rebranded to Veritas System Recovery (VSR)

For more details, please refer to:

Trialware is available at http://go.veritas.com/try-system-recovery

Please use this forum thread for any questions about VSR 16.

25 REPLIES 25

ges87
Level 5

Great news! I was checking the compatibility matrix, and Windows 2016 seems not to be supported by the Management solution, is that correct? How does licensing work? Need a new license for VSR2016?

criley
Employee Accredited

@ges87

That's correct, there is currently no support for Windows 2016 with the Management Solution. This is because Symantec don't support this with SMP yet (details here http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO9965). We rely on SMP so are basically waiting for Symantec to add this support.

Yes, a new license is required for VSR 16. If you have active maintenance with us, that should entitle you to a free upgrade. A 60-day trial version is also available.

Hope this helps.

I think maintenance is expired, anyway I can still download the management solution trial and upgrade it right? Licenses are only necessary for clients. So I would update the MS and start testing one a VM the new client before thinking of upgrading all the production clients.

criley
Employee Accredited

@ges87

I think maintenance is expired, anyway I can still download the management solution trial and upgrade it right? Licenses are only necessary for clients.

Yes, that's correct.

Just FYI, I found this (http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO125374). Currently not officially supported with VSR 16 (Management Solution) at this stage though.

softdev
Level 3

Are there any features of v16 that are applicable to the desktop version?  All of the listed feature appear to be server version related.

criley
Employee Accredited

@softdev

Nothing specific to desktop, no. Is there anything in particular you are looking for?

No, nothing in particular, just trying to decide if this is a version that is worth spending money on to upgrade if we only use the desktop version.  I'm taking from your response that for the desktop version that v16 is essentially the same as 2013 R2.

Still nothing new in supported Linux OS version... :( 

criley
Employee Accredited

@markus_m1

That's correct I'm afraid. Is there any particular version of Linux you are looking for support for?

Yes, I'm waiting for support for: Oracle Linux, especially with Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel.(7.0)

Ron_Bierman
Level 2

Cannot find a "partner" to buy a license from.  Tried a link in another thread which gave me a company in Europe that stated they could not sell to anyone outside of Europe.  Tried to locate one from the search page on Veritas main site and it only gave one who told me that they only deal with corporations.  And doing a quick search for Veritas distributors gave an extensive list of companies all over the world and after checking out a few of them, I could not locate any references to the System Recovery software nor to Veritas.  My maintenance contract expired 2-2015 and I am told I either have to renew that or buy a new license to be able to upgrade to version 16.  I have been using SSR 2013 R2 and Norton Ghost prior to that.  What ever happened to simply purchasing the software from the company that produces it?  I am a simple home user in need of a reliable backup program and would still be using Norton Ghost if it had not been discontinued.  After that I migrated to SSR and now would like to upgrade to the latest Veritas version.  What kind of tricks must I learn to accomplish that? 

I bought my license from span.com, shipping from UK “to elsewhere”. But you need a VAT number. A full list of Veritas licenses can be found at http://www.span.com/category/SR-Desktop~1881

Span.com is the company I referred to that told me they cannot sell to anyone outside of Europe.  So now what do I do?  This is really getting stupid.

I’m sorry to hear that. I have one other option, which you could give a try: QBS software: http://www.qbssoftware.com/products/System_Recovery/licensing/_prodsymbackup They also require a VAT number. I hope that helps and I agree that getting a Veritas license is a hell of a job :)

I am afraid this is a common problem with the Veritas Partner list - the "partners" will generally only sell to Companies with minimum sales of $5000 AUD or similar - not the atypical home user with Ghost that was forced to upgrade to SSR by Symantec then has essentially been frozen out in the move to Veritas. The list for Australia lists the >$5K Partners, those who incidentally use Veritas product in their company (like IBM) and the 2 listed Australian Distributors neither of which are allowed to sell to home users - so as far as I am concerned after the severe annoyance I went through earlier this year to renew licenses -being told by Veritas to use the Partner list is a complete waste of time.

I am in Australia and with 2 licenses about to expire plus 1 already expired (no reminders from Symantec or Veritas in the transition) mid this year managed to find a new company (Warehouse1) that sold me the licenses I needed - but then decided that being the intermediary  with the Veritas Distributor was all just too hard - so no longer sells any Veritas product.

Subsequent to this I wanted to buy some more Desktop licenses for SSR - and eventually managed to find an Australian company [in Sydney] grey matter solutions] https://www.greymattersolutions.com.au/ (not in the partner list) that was able to sell me the needed licenses. Thanks Grey Matter Solutions !!

I also found another company that sells a lot of software/hardware at cheaper prices http://www.megabuy.com.au/ - and they confirmed they would also sell the Desktop licenses I needed as at that point (well after the relocation) they were listing Symantec System Recovery - not Veritas System Recovery - but this has since been corrected as a result of my query. Note that as yet I have not bought from them.

I also ended up googling for the part that I wanted (using the veritas part number (like [11479-M0020] which is SYSTEM RECOVERY DESKTOP ED WIN 1 DEVICE ONPREM STANDARD ESSEN MAINT BUNDLE IN 24M CORP - as found from a Distributor's license codes. This is a new license with 2 years support.

I also suspect that, due to Veritas licensing arrangements, no company will sell outside their Licensed boundaries - with this being enforced by the Distributors they are forced to liaise with to sell product.

The license renewals I used were for 1 or 2 years's support with order numbers of

13880-M1-23   VERITAS     [13880-M1-23] ESSENTIAL 12M RENEWAL SYSTEM RECOVERY DESKTOP ED WIN 1DVC ONPREM STANDARD PERPETUAL CORP

13880-M1-24   VERITAS     [13880-M1-24] ESS 24 MNTHS RENEWAL SYSTEM RECOVERY DESKTOP ED WIN 1 DEVICE ONPREM STANDARD PER CORP

As one of my licenses had expired in the Transition - I was also forced to buy a renewal license

11479-M3819   VERITAS    [11479-M3819] SYSTEM RECOVERY DESKTOP ED WIN 1 DEVICE ONPREM STANDARD ESSEN MAINT BDL EXP MU IN 24M CORP

You've not stated which country you are from - so not sure if any of this will be of any help.

Regards

Geoff

Hi,

I'm also from Australia, and I'm having trouble in finding a reseller and undertanding the right license I need... I would need a license for 3 new windows clients....which one do I need? Can you provide me the product code? Can i buy symantec 2013R2 to get free upgrade to veritas 16?

JAta2
Level 4

Real Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Anniversary version

Real Product Version: Veritas System Recovery 16

Upgraded from SSR 13 R2 SP 6 to VSR 16.  No problems except for some reason the email settings were not carried over.  Wondered if anyone else had a similar issue.

John

criley
Employee Accredited

@JAta2

Yes, I have been able to reproduce this here. I'm going to forward this issue to our engineering team for investigation.

Geoff,

I did an internet search on the three SKUs you mention (13880-M1-23, 13880-M1-24, 11479-M3819) and found them available in the US -- the first two at CDW and the last at shopblt.com -- but it raised a question in my mind: how do those support extensions get applied to my software?  I didn't see any way to do it myself in VSR 2016.  Were you at the mercy of the vendor you used to inform Veritas that you had extended your coverage or did the vendor send you something that you could somehow apply?

Second question: what is the method for transferring the software to another machine?  Is it as simple as (1) uninstall on Machine #1 and (2) do a fresh install on Machine #2?  I will be facing that situation in the next few weeks.

OPINION: It looks like I can continue my support via vendors in the US but looking at some of the other posts in this thread, it appears as if I have to go overseas to get a new copy for an additional computer.  Am I wrong?  If I'm correct, that seems like a great way to kill a product (Chris, are you listening???)  I started using Ghost when it was only available for DOS -- over 20 years now.  Any time I needed a new copy, I just went to Best Buy and picked it up -- no problem.  I now use two different products, VSR and Image For Windows, to back up my computers because I fear that, sometime in the near future, VSR is going to die a lonely death.  I hope that is not the case, but it certainly looks like the marketing people at Veritas are hell-bent on making it happen.

--Ernie