cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas System Recovery (VSR) 18 Backup Failure

Gonad
Level 4

Just installed VSR 18 as a trial on a Windows 10 Pro machine.

The first couple of backups work OK and then after that I get a failure message which reads:

Description: Result (0xec8f17b7 23 VPRO_ERROR_CREATE_IMAGE Args [2] Arg (0xbab000d 32 Drive Backup of OS Drive 1 (C:\)) Arg (0xbab0012 Result (0xe4f3000f 33 SYMTRACK_ERROR_VSS_WRITER_FAILURE Args [2] Arg (0xbab000d 11 BITS Writer) Arg (0xbab0006 0x800423f1);)<18 1.0-Backup-Image-* >);)<18 1.0-Backup-Image-* >Details: 0xE4F3000F

A reboot fixes the problem and then it happens again after another backup or two.

Any ideas what this error message actually means in plain English?

BTW, my previous version (SSR 2013 SP6) worked flawlessly.

3 REPLIES 3

criley
Employee Accredited

@Gonad

It looks like there may be a problem with the BITS vss writer.

I would suggest starting by looking in the Windows Application event log - what errors are shown there at the time of the backup failure?

Chris,

The Application Log doesn't seem much use as all I can see there is exactly the same error message that I originally posted. No other errors.

criley
Employee Accredited

@Gonad

I would suggest running the following command (from CMD, run as admin) before and after each backup:

vssadmin list writers

This may give us some clues as to when the writer(s) are going into a failed state. At this point, we cannot be sure if this is a VSR issue or something specific to the VSS writers (part of the operating system).

A support case may be needed to investigate this properly.