cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version 16- what is new other than re-branding?

BJB
Level 5

Greetings.  I am a long time user.  I looked at the documentation and it seems that this new version is mostly really branding.  If I am running Windows 10, will I see any new features?  Bug fixes?  Are the recovery disc creation  hassles fixed?

Upgrading to every new version in the past has been....,a challenge.  I'd like to know what I get, and also, can I install over my current version. And doespecially recovery disc creation work.

Thanks,

BJBBJB

13 REPLIES 13

criley
Employee Accredited

It's a mix of rebranding, new platform support and some bug fixes. Details here:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/System-Recovery/Veritas-System-Recovery-16-available-now/m-p/820514#U8205...

And yes, upgrades are supported. Hope that helps.

I am finally getting around to upgrading.  I am currently running 11.1.4.55331.

I went to download and see 2 files.  I assume the System_Recovery_16.0.0_55884_Multilingual_Product is what I want to install on top of my current version. Is that correct?

There is also Symantec_System_Recovery_2013_R2_LORSetup.msi_package.  It says that is to generate a System Recovery Disk. I remember having to jump through all sorts of hoops with my current version to generate a system recovery disk.  Does generating a SSR disk ISO for windows 10 now work from within the program?  If not, what does this "LORSetup" install? Is this how I have to make my System recovery disk?

I also see that the version 16 update makes you lose all backup history?  Is this fixed?

The Veritas licensing (or key generation, or entitlement ID?) system has been confusing since day one.  I have a License number in my "about box" for my current SSR version I am running.  When I upgrade, will this license continue or do I need to generate a "key" or something?  My license is still active but on the website under "license keys" under the current version of SSR it says zero. But under "entitlements" under "entitled quantity" it says one.  I can't state enough how frustrating this licensing system is. And I have worked with major ERP systems....

And what unlock key do I use for the SSR disk if I want to make a bare metal backup from the disk vs. from within windows?  Is it the license key?  The generated key or what?

I also just went to "Manage licenses" to see where I go to renew the license.  I even went into help.  I cannot find a button that allows me to purchase a license renewal......

Thanks,

BJB

criley
Employee Accredited

@BJB

I went to download and see 2 files.  I assume the System_Recovery_16.0.0_55884_Multilingual_Product is what I want to install on top of my current version. Is that correct?

Yes, correct.

There is also Symantec_System_Recovery_2013_R2_LORSetup.msi_package.  It says that is to generate a System Recovery Disk. I remember having to jump through all sorts of hoops with my current version to generate a system recovery disk.  Does generating a SSR disk ISO for windows 10 now work from within the program?  If not, what does this "LORSetup" install? Is this how I have to make my System recovery disk?

Yes, you can create a recovery disk from 'within the program'. LOR = LightsOut Restore (allows for remote restore). Please see User Guide for more details.

I also see that the version 16 update makes you lose all backup history?  Is this fixed?

Not sure where you have seen this? All history should be retained by an upgrade.

And what unlock key do I use for the SSR disk if I want to make a bare metal backup from the disk vs. from within windows?  Is it the license key?  The generated key or what?

Yes, you use the same license key to allow cold backups from the recovery disk.

I can't really help with the license portal questions. I would suggest you contact our customer care team who should be able to help with this: https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/contact-us.html

One of my licenses is on an older windows 7 machine.  I installed version 16 and it told me I could not make a recovery disc without installing that huge windows platform file.  I thought that issue was fixed with16?  I remember messing around with this under SSR but understood it was fixed.

Under downloads I see there is another program to download that appears to hint you can make a recovery disc with it but it is for SSR.  Can I use that?

Do I have to install that windows platform to make a recovery Disc ?  

Will an old SSR boot disc work?  But then there are the new license numbers so wonder how that would work?

Thanks,

BJB

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Whats that huge platform file? You should be able to use the SRD for offline Backup and restore. In this case you Must use the license number that belongs to this SSR/SRD Version. 

Whats the Name of this other program you See?

criley
Employee Accredited

One of my licenses is on an older windows 7 machine.  I installed version 16 and it told me I could not make a recovery disc without installing that huge windows platform file.  I thought that issue was fixed with16?  I remember messing around with this under SSR but understood it was fixed.

@BJB

I assume you are talking about Microsoft ADK here? This is only needed when using the advanced option to create the SRD. Is there a reason why you cannot use the typical option which is the default?

I don't want to use the advanced option, it was pre-selected and the typical or whatever it is called option was greyed out. As I mentioned earlier I am running Windows 7.

The messages says the Windows ADK is not installed on the computer.  Before proceeding you must install the ADK.

So how do I use the regular or typical or non-advanced option?

BJB

criley
Employee Accredited

@BJB

Is this the issue you are seeing? http://www.veritas.com/docs/000081480

If not, please provide a screenshot of what is shown when trying to create an SRD.

I am not seeing exactly that....I've attached a screenshot.

Thanks as always,

BJB

criley
Employee Accredited

@BJB

I am not seeing exactly that....I've attached a screenshot.

?? That appears to be the exact same issue that you are seeing ..

Have you tried the steps in that article ??

I have determined to make the disc on my other PC that I have a license to install Veritas 2016 on.  It is a Windows 10 PC that has been running SSR. 

However, I have another issue. I just tried to run the Veritas 16 installer on this Windows 10 PC.....I run "browser", it brings up the browser, I click install, I get that quick DOS box, it then says "loading the install"....then nothing.  No prompts, nothing.  I try again, the same thing. Alt-tab shows nothing running, was not sure what process to look for but it won't install.

It took weeks to get the licensing straightened out and I set aside time to take care of the install and initial backups and it won't install.  Any ideas?

I know how the installer should work because on the Windows 7 PC/license, it did install fine, I just could not create a recovery disc.

BJB

criley
Employee Accredited

Thanks that did work.  Although when it rebooted after install, the Veritas splash appeared and then disappeared....then I started the program and it did it again....then the third time I got the box with the checkbox and it took me to create a rescue disc.

I was able to exit and restart program fine after all this and did a backup.

I also was able to make a system recovery disc for my other Windows 7 machine which wouldn't let me so think I am set.

Thanks,
BJB