cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume Shadow Copy Service doesn't stop when SSR finish creating an image

dori_bashan
Level 6

Hi

We have BE 2014 and SSR 2011 on the same server.

when BE runs, it start the VSS service when backup start. and stop the service when it is finished.

But when SSR runs, it start the VSS service, and doesn't stop it when it is finished creating the image.

This result errors on the BE backups as BE says that the service already runs and two instance of the serivce cannot run at the same time.

I must say that BE and SSR runs at completly diffrent times during the day. BE runs in the morning while SSR runs at night.

We are seeing this issue only a specific server. all our other serves runs the same version of BE and SSR, but we hvae no issue and VSS stops when SSR finished.

I don't belive this is an issue with the VSS itself, seems more like an issue with SSR.

This force me to schduale a task in task schdular that will stop the VSS service before BE starts a backup

we are running SSR version 10.0.3.45857 on Win Server 2008 R2 SP1.

Thanks

Dori

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm, then the only workaround i can think of is to create an after command that stopps the vss service.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

So even after the SSR job is finished the VSS service ist still up?

dori_bashan
Level 6

yes.

exctaly.

but this is only happens with SSR

Other applications on the same server that use VSS stop the service once they are finish

all applications that use VSS on that server don't run at the same time

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm, have you set the option to use a full VSS backup?

dori_bashan
Level 6

no

Preform Full VSS backup is NOT checked.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Give it a try?

dori_bashan
Level 6

I will

Thanks

dori_bashan
Level 6

Full VSS did not help here.

Still, when image creation is finished, the Volume Shadow Vopy Service stays "Started"

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Hm, then the only workaround i can think of is to create an after command that stopps the vss service.

dori_bashan
Level 6

thanks