cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning -- System Recovery SBS doesn't work with Windows Server Foundation

sfuller_2
Level 3

We are posting this so that no one else makes the same mistake we did.  We purchased System Recovery Small Business Server for a Windows Foundation Server environment.  It DOESN'T WORK!!  Before purchasing the license, we looked up on Symantec's forums to verify that SBS would work with Foundation.  We were not able to find any information about Foundation.  However, there were comments about Server Essentials taking a SBS license.  Since Foundation is more limited than Essentials, we figured that the SBS version would work.  Just to make sure, we contacted a national distributor to verify that SBS would work with Foundation.  We were told that it would. After we attempted to install the key, we found out that the SBS version will NOT work with Foundation.  Windows Server Foundation has been out since 2008 -- You would think that by now, Symantec would have changed the software that checks the Windows server version to include Essentials AND Foundation.  It seems ridiculous to have to sell a customer a $600 piece of software to backup their $300 server license.  

3 REPLIES 3

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Symantec System Recovery 2013 Server Ed is compatible with Windows Foundation. (See here). SSR 2013 SBS requires the Windows SBS operating system. You may want to contact the distributor and see if they will work something out with you.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Chris is correct - SSR 2013 SBS Editiion will work with both SBS and Essentials.

I verified that Windows Foundation (2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2) requires SSR 2013 Server Edition. I believe this is because it is based on the Windows core.

I am not sure what considerations were taken in regards to licensing SSR with the various operating systems. I understand your argument, and will definately pass this information on to the product management team. 

sfuller_2
Level 3

Thank you!!