cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What am I missing

garylsewell
Level 3

Here is what I am trying to do. First I still have the working boot disk (Disk 1) installed. I just want to test and see if I can create a bootable USB drive (Disk 6) to do some testing:

1. Install new blank USB disk (Disk 6 in my drive list) with no partitions one it.

2. Use the SRD to install a full system backup to it.

3. When I go to restore the 4 partitions from my full backup set in the following order

a. System Reserved

b. System Reserved

c. EFI Boot

d. Windows OS

I can see them fine. When I select the first System Reserved partition, I can edit the settings and place it on the new blank drive with no problems, and I can see that is is correctly going to install on Disk 6.

But when I select the next partition and try to select the next unallocated space on the same blank disk, it still says it will restore to Disk 1, not Disk 6. I cannot seem to get any of the other partitions to go to the new disk no mater what I do. Now if I reverse the oder and select the Windows OS partition first, followed by EFI, and so on, I can get them to install, but I am not sure that the system will boot.

Any ideas what is wrong, or what I am doing wrong?

Gary

15 REPLIES 15

criley
Employee Accredited

@garylsewell

I would recommend that you follow this article: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100001643.html

The key here is to select the system index file (sv2i) when restoring. This will ensure that all partitions are restored in the correct order and with the correct settings. You can still select the correct target disk to restore to.

That is what I am doing. I select “system” and then the sv2i file. It shows not only the c drive backups but also 2 other disks that I have in the system. Don’t know why my backups of the c drive would show them as they are not included in this backup. I then see that’s the target drive is the c drive and when I try to change the target drive to the other is when I run into problems. I am beginning to think that the only way to get this to work is to remove the boot disk and temporarily replace it with the USB one. Not what I want o do.

Gary

criley
Employee Accredited

@garylsewell

I am beginning to think that the only way to get this to work is to remove the boot disk and temporarily replace it with the USB one. Not what I want o do.

As a test, might be worth using the DiskPart command and make the boot disk offline? That may allow you to get around this problem.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/48ea44b0-9962-49e3-95a1-568275851753/take-...

Are you talking about taking the disk off line within the Windows while it is running, or within the Veritas recovery boot mode? If so how would that allow me to change the target disk as the USB is still marked as “disk6”, and that is where I am having problems. 

Gary

criley
Employee Accredited

@garylsewell

I'm talking about doing this inside the recovery environment once booted from the recovery disk (you can just run CMD, then DiskPart).

My thinking is that, if you offline that disk, it will then only have the USB to restore to.... thought it was worth trying.

Ok tried what you said. Here is what I got. 

I was was able to take disk 1, the boot drive offline. I was able to now select and move only 1 of the system partitions, but when I try to select the second one, it will not select the USB drive, and shows the same boot drive as before. But when I try to point the Windows OS drive to the USB disk, I now get “Cannot restore UEFI based recovery points on BIOS based computers”. The BIOS is set to UEFI, the backup was done on the same system, and the destination drive is a GPT  blank disk. 

What at am I doing wrong?

criley
Employee Accredited

It came back set to 0x1 BIOS mode. How do I change the SRD to UEFI?

Gary

The USB drive is formated to FAT32 not NTFS.

Gary

criley
Employee Accredited

@garylsewell

It came back set to 0x1 BIOS mode. How do I change the SRD to UEFI?

OK, so that's the issue then.

Can you install LightsOut Restore? Open the System Recovery console, go to Tasks-->Install LightsOut Restore. Once this is installed, reboot the machine and then choose LightsOut Restore from the boot menu options. This will then boot into the same recovery environment.

Then run the same command to check if it's booted into BIOS or UEFI mode. If it now shows as UEFI, there is some issue with the SRD created on USB. Let me know ..

That is not going to fix the issue with the USB SRD drive. If I need to recover my backups using the USB SRD drive in the future it will not work. Seems I am screwed to use it for recovery. 

Gary

criley
Employee Accredited

@garylsewell

Right, it won't fix the issue with the USB SRD. However, it will tell us if there is a problem here that is specific to the USB SRD ..... I'm just trying to narrow down the issue here.

Once we prove the issue is with the USB SRD (assuming that is what it is), we can then investigate further. But until we try this step, we cannot be sure that's the issue you are currently seeing.

Ok here is what I found. Re-created the SRD as a WinPE boot device. Checked the boot mode on the USB drive and it was 0x2. Used it to restore my full backup image to the USB attached disk and it installed with no problems, and it booted up fine. But when I went back to boot from the main HD, I got a blue screen, and had to restore the entire disk from the backup. Something on my mail boot drive got changed. Not what I wanted to do for testing. Any idea why it would not boot?

Gary

criley
Employee Accredited

@garylsewell

Did you capture the blue screen information?

If your main boot drive was offline during the restore, nothing should have changed there.

No I did not take it offline. Let me try that today.

Thanks Gary