cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens with new files created while an image backup is running with SSR 2013?

monsieurms
Level 4

As noted in the title...to be specific, I was ripping a CD while an image backup was running. Some 12 new files were created while the image backup was in progress.

==Are the files backed up?

--Ignored?

--Backed up if that area of the drive is not yet backed up, otherwise ignored?

---If ignored, does this otherwise affect the integrity of the backup (that is, other than just not backing up the 12 new files?)

I have no emergency to be clear. Just plotting strategies!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

It's not being covered by the backup job in progress but by the next one. No negative side effect to my knowledge since ssr uses the VSS service.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Symantec System Recovery can monitor your backup storage space and notify
you when it gets full.It can also automatically delete old recovery points.

The option set for doing so is "Limit the number of recovery point sets saved for this backup".

Thus you can limit the number of recoverypoint sets to reduce the risk of filling up the hard drive with recovery points. Each new recovery point set replaces the oldest set on your backup destination drive.This option appears only if you are creating a recovery point set.Note: This option does not appear if you create a recovery point using the BackUp My Computer feature in Symantec System Recovery Disk.

monsieurms
Level 4

I'm sorry, but that's not what I meant.

I am talking about the actual files in the backup not the .v21

In other words, if I'm running a backup of mp3s and I create JoeBlow.mp3 WHILE the backup is running

(a) does it get backed up?

(b) assuming not, is there any other negative effect to creating it while the backup is running that might interfere with a later image restore, if need be?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

It's not being covered by the backup job in progress but by the next one. No negative side effect to my knowledge since ssr uses the VSS service.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

In case all your questions are answered I'd like to ask to you mark this post as solved.