cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Basic Edition of SSR 2013 R2?

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi all.  I'm always a little fuzzy on the differences between the various editions of SSR (Desktop Edition, Server Ed., etc.).  During purchasing (as a Veritas partner), it's easy because Ingram and the like have the edition type mentioned in their product titles.  But once the actual file download and install stuff happens, and even in checking in the Help > About screen in the product, there doesn't seem to be anything that differentiates server edition from desktop edition.  In fact I believe I've installed "server edition" on some desktops in the past few years on my network and it works identically. 

In any case, I just renewed my NFR license today, and the only available download is for the Server Edition, yet I will be using it on my main desktop.  On the MyVeritas download page there are two files.  One is a "Basic Edition, Multilingual", the other is simply the Multilingual product with no mention of edition, and yet, both files are identical in size. 

Anybody have any insights?  I've already had confusion on this subject due to ambiguous documentation and such so I'm inclined to ask a human :) Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

Basic Edition is something that is only sold in the Japan region as far as I know. Nothing different with the product itself, it's just a licensing thing.

Same with Server & Desktop - the installables are the same, it's just the license that is different. As the Server Edition is more expensive, you can actually use a server edition license on a desktop operating system, but not vice-versa.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

criley
Employee Accredited

Basic Edition is something that is only sold in the Japan region as far as I know. Nothing different with the product itself, it's just a licensing thing.

Same with Server & Desktop - the installables are the same, it's just the license that is different. As the Server Edition is more expensive, you can actually use a server edition license on a desktop operating system, but not vice-versa.

Hope that helps.

photofafe
Not applicable

Bonjour,

J'ai besoin d'activer mon produit SSR Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 mais je sais pas quoi rentrer comme informations.

j'ai un numero : Certificate Id 15592X et Order#: 20002164X Customer PO: 350748186X et Reseller PO: CF16019X

PS: Le X equivaut au dernier numero.

E dans la case veuillez ajouter un ID ou N° de Série je sai pas quoi inserer merci de m'aider SVP.

Joaquim Santos

RCB INFORMATIQUE

Merci d'avance

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks Chris.  Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I've noticed that many of the Veritas forum posts I do don't send me email notifications on replies, even though by default they all are set to.