cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 1803 and VSR18.0.1.56582 crashes with KERNELBASE.dll

weff
Level 4

I have just created a new Support case against System Recovery 18.0.1.56582 as it crashes against KERNELBASE.dll subsequent to an upgrade to Windows 10 64-bit 1803.

For the past few months I have been intermittently re-attempting the upgrade to winver 1803 and it has always failed due to the system freezing on the first reboot after the basic software is installed. From then on - it freezes at the Windows 10 logo - prior to the circle of dots displaying and rotating.

After removing all non-standard software (Diskeeper, VSR and Norton AV) and with basic mouse and keyboard it again failed the reboot phase - then I found a recommendation to set VT-D to disabled in the BIOS which fixed the issue with the reboot - but then subsequent to this I have been unable toreinstall VSR and have it working successfully.

The VT-D BIOS setting needing to be disabled is required with X.58 chipset Asus Motherboards and some Intel motherboards may also be affected. As X.58 is out of support with Intel this may not yet be fixed - but at least the workaround fixes it - but if you want to use VMWare and other Virtual servers you need VT_D support to be enabled.

Instead there have been the initial SystemException then the crashes against KERNELBASE.dll.

Hopefully Veritas Support has a fix to this issue - else will need to uninstall Win 10 1803 and go back to using 1709.

I will have to complete the new PC installation I have been working on - which being a much newer system should not have issues with VT-D.

Also - prior to my completing this message I have had a support call from Veritas (not that long ago that I submitted the case too) - and with their help have just now collected needed data and log files from Win 1803 system. They advised they expect to get back to me tomorrow morning their time regarding what the cause is and what the next steps will be. So I just need to wait until then.

I will update this once I know further - just thought that we should be aware of potential issues with Win 1803 and VSR18.0.1.56582

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

weff
Level 4

Thanks to a very quick response from Veritas Support this morning AU time - the problem has now been resolved.

Somehow, in the reinstallation of System Recovery 18.0.1 under Windows 10 version 1803 a file user.config (which normally either doesn't exist or consists of valid XML structures under C:\Users\ <zzz>\AppData\Local\Veritas_Technologies_LLC\VProConsole.exe_Url_<string of characters>\18.0.1 where <zzz> is the user account directory that installed VSR 18.0.1 instead created a user.config file filled with null (00) characters - resulting in VSR crashing on startup.

The solution was to delete this file user.config under any subdirectory 18.0.1, 16.0.0.0, 16.0.1.0, 16.0.2.0 in that particular directory tree - and then manually start VSR18.0.1 - and then all was working correctly.

I am still testing VSR under Win 10 1803 - and so far it has worked flawlessly so after a successful system disk full backup, the creation of a VSR recovery disk and partway through a file systems file backup without any issues I expect that I will be able to close the Veritas Case I raised as having been resolved fully.

Thanks to Veritas for what was a quick and relatively painless resolution to VSR crashing on startup against KERNELBASE.dllfollowing reeinstallation under Windows 10 version 1803.

Yesterday afternoon I opened a WebEx session from my PC to that of Veritas Technical Support  PC and after their looking for anything obviously wrong with my environment then captured all the required system and app log files in order to diagnose the underlying fault cause. This was around16:00 AU time yesterday. By 11:00 AM AU time today I received email from Veritas specifying the solution that should resolve the issue (ie delete all user.config files in a specific directory tree as above) which did immediately resolve the issue with VSR crashing.

Thanks to Veritas for  their great support.

Geoff.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

weff
Level 4

Thanks to a very quick response from Veritas Support this morning AU time - the problem has now been resolved.

Somehow, in the reinstallation of System Recovery 18.0.1 under Windows 10 version 1803 a file user.config (which normally either doesn't exist or consists of valid XML structures under C:\Users\ <zzz>\AppData\Local\Veritas_Technologies_LLC\VProConsole.exe_Url_<string of characters>\18.0.1 where <zzz> is the user account directory that installed VSR 18.0.1 instead created a user.config file filled with null (00) characters - resulting in VSR crashing on startup.

The solution was to delete this file user.config under any subdirectory 18.0.1, 16.0.0.0, 16.0.1.0, 16.0.2.0 in that particular directory tree - and then manually start VSR18.0.1 - and then all was working correctly.

I am still testing VSR under Win 10 1803 - and so far it has worked flawlessly so after a successful system disk full backup, the creation of a VSR recovery disk and partway through a file systems file backup without any issues I expect that I will be able to close the Veritas Case I raised as having been resolved fully.

Thanks to Veritas for what was a quick and relatively painless resolution to VSR crashing on startup against KERNELBASE.dllfollowing reeinstallation under Windows 10 version 1803.

Yesterday afternoon I opened a WebEx session from my PC to that of Veritas Technical Support  PC and after their looking for anything obviously wrong with my environment then captured all the required system and app log files in order to diagnose the underlying fault cause. This was around16:00 AU time yesterday. By 11:00 AM AU time today I received email from Veritas specifying the solution that should resolve the issue (ie delete all user.config files in a specific directory tree as above) which did immediately resolve the issue with VSR crashing.

Thanks to Veritas for  their great support.

Geoff.