cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10? New software update for Symantec System Recovery 2013 Desktop Edition?

davep2344
Level 3

I am currently using Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 with my Windows 8.1 based desktop PC.  I am planning on upgrading to Windows 10 on July 29, 2015 when Windows 10 is released.  I've been relying on Norton Ghost and SSR 2013 to do full system images for years.

Is Symantec currently working on software for Symantec System Recovery 2013 so that it will be compatible with Windows 10?  

Will Symantec be offering a FREE update patch to Symantec System Recovery 2013 that will make it compatible with Windows 10?  Will it be called Symantec System Recovery 2013 R3 or something else like Symantec System Recovery 2015?

I would like to see SSR 2013 tested and certified as compatible with Windows 10 as soon as possible.  I would prefer not to have switch to another vendor's system image backup software like Acronis.  Their website is saying that you can get a free software update for Windows 10 compatibility for Acronis True Image 2015.

385 REPLIES 385

criley
Employee Accredited

Is Symantec currently working on software for Symantec System Recovery 2013 so that it will be compatible with Windows 10?

Yes.

Will Symantec be offering a FREE update patch to Symantec System Recovery 2013 that will make it compatible with Windows 10?  Will it be called Symantec System Recovery 2013 R3 or something else like Symantec System Recovery 2015?

Yes, I believe so. Basically we are adding support for Windows 10 in a future service pack for SSR 2013 R2.

lucasan
Level 3

Hi, what happens if I upgrade Windows 8.1 with SSR 2013 R2 installed to Windows 10? The system Crashes? I've to unistall SSR 2013 R2 before the upgrade? Thanks

criley
Employee Accredited

I would not expect it to crash.

However, as we have not fully tested Windows 10, we cannot guarantee what results you will see with SSR + Windows 10.

lucasan
Level 3

Hi, tried SSR 2013 R2 in Windows 10 build 10240. Install ok - backup ok - SRDCreator fails "operating system not supported".

Rastasandwich
Level 3

Same experience here with build 10240....also the license key it not accepted so it seems to operate in perpetual trial mode. 

misco77
Level 2

Any plan to realease a Windows 10 compatible SSR 2013? Windows 10 was already released to partners and will to the public on July 29

criley
Employee Accredited

I will see if there is a workaround to the problem with the recovery disk but, as this is not fully supported, I cannot guarantee that we can help here.

Also, please refer to: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH231698

TPPerlman
Level 2

Hi Folks, thanks in advance for your help!

I just did an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 and now my SSR 2013 v11.0.2.49853 has been unlicensed. I had been running Win 8.1 with a valid license to SSR 2013 for many years now, and the license no longer works saying "Product license has expired."

The error I am receiving is:

-Info 6C8F1C25: Cannot activate this product using license key [...]. The license key is not valid.

Please enter the correct license key.
---Cannot install license.
----Error EC8F17C8: Invalid serial number: [...].

(UMI:V-281-429-49558)

That error has a link to this support document, which leads me to believe that SSR 2013 thinks that Windows 10 is a server platform:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH214317.html

Is there any way to continue using this awesome product? It has worked flawlessly for many years.

criley
Employee Accredited

Let me check on this and get back to you ...

However, you should be aware of the following (if not already):

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH231698

TPPerlman
Level 2

Hi Chris, thanks for the quick reply!

I already have a recovery disc, so hopefully it will still work if I need a bare metal restore. What I am most interested in is the incremental backup feature, which I rely upon religiously. Right now I am dead-in-the-water backup-wise until I can run using my valid license.

--Phil

criley
Employee Accredited

Disclaimer! Windows 10 is not supported yet (as per the article link I provided earlier).

The following may or may not work ...

The version you are running (11.0.2) is SSR 2013. You could download and install the trial version of 2013 R2 (http://www.symantec.com/offer?a_id=88749).

This will give you 60 days of usage.

When we add support for Windows 10, it will only be for 2013 R2, not earlier versions (so you'll have to upgrade at some stage anyway).

TPPerlman
Level 2

Thanks, Chris! I actually thought I was running R2 through Live Updates, but didn't realize that was a separate license.

I installed the trial and will patiently await an update for Windows 10 from you folks.

Appreciate the help and have a great day!

Krammetj
Level 2

I think I do have the right license to SSR R 2 (11.1.0.53728) but do get the message that my licensing key isnot valid as stated by TPPerlman. However I think due to the fact that it is not activated the "trial" cannot be updated whenever there will be an update suitable for Windows 10. Does this therefore mean it is best to keep the win 8.1 version and update it to Win 10 After the update for SSR R2 was published ? 

criley
Employee Accredited

As mentioned above, I am looking into the licensing issue. I'll update this thread when I have more news on this.

If you are using SSR, I would recommend you stay on Windows 8.1 for the time being.

Doug3909
Level 3

Chris,

I've read your links above, and I would like to why Symantec was no prepared for this upgrade?

It was not something that happened overnight.

Before i upgraded i chatted with a Symantec support peron that ensured me this was not an issue.

Well, we know how this turned out.

Instead of pointing to a page stating it's not supported and dancing around the fact Symantec was not prepared just tell us when this will be fixed or a patch will available?

So far SSR is the only product on our server that is not working with W10.

Doug

criley
Employee Accredited

Before i upgraded i chatted with a Symantec support peron that ensured me this was not an issue.

I'm afraid you were given the wrong information. If you can provide the support case number where you discussed this, I can speak with the concerned individual so they are fully aware of the current support situation as far as Windows 10 is concerned.

Instead of pointing to a page stating it's not supported and dancing around the fact Symantec was not prepared just tell us when this will be fixed or a patch will available?

Support for Windows 10 will be available in the next service pack (SP4) for SSR 2013 R2. I'm afraid that I cannot provide exact timframe at this point. Please 'don't shoot the messenger' (because that's all I am here, I don't make the decisions about when we add platform support etc).

zoon01
Level 3

SP3 is out now, no windows 10 solution!

gardis
Level 4

I have the same problem with SSR 2013 R2. I have licences for 4 computers - when i updated to Win 10 Pro its just a Trial Version and my licence key dosen´t work.

Does anyone have a solution?

//Johannes  

criley
Employee Accredited

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH231698

I have made our engineering team aware of this issue with the license key. Hopefully we can provide some form of solution here, even though we don't officially support Windows 10 yet.