cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10? New software update for Symantec System Recovery 2013 Desktop Edition?

davep2344
Level 3

I am currently using Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 with my Windows 8.1 based desktop PC.  I am planning on upgrading to Windows 10 on July 29, 2015 when Windows 10 is released.  I've been relying on Norton Ghost and SSR 2013 to do full system images for years.

Is Symantec currently working on software for Symantec System Recovery 2013 so that it will be compatible with Windows 10?  

Will Symantec be offering a FREE update patch to Symantec System Recovery 2013 that will make it compatible with Windows 10?  Will it be called Symantec System Recovery 2013 R3 or something else like Symantec System Recovery 2015?

I would like to see SSR 2013 tested and certified as compatible with Windows 10 as soon as possible.  I would prefer not to have switch to another vendor's system image backup software like Acronis.  Their website is saying that you can get a free software update for Windows 10 compatibility for Acronis True Image 2015.

385 REPLIES 385

Sgooter
Level 3

gkeevash,

Yes, Ghost is offically not compatible with Windows 8 and newer OS, such as Win 10.  That said, there's an unofficial workaround procedure posted recently in the Norton Ghost forum that might allow Ghost15 to activate and work on Win 8 and maybe Win 10.

About 4 months ago, I bought a new Win8 PC, and I also bought SSR 2013 R2 Desktop.  While waiting for the SSR disc to be mailed to me, I had already installed Norton Internet Security.  Once I was ready to install SSR, it was strongly suggested that I first run the Norton Removal Tool, which uninstalls and removes all Norton products from the PC.  Presumably this was to properly prep the PC for the SSR install.  My SSR install was smooth, and soon thereafter I re-installed NIS.

So, if you're still not able to get SSR running, then you might want to download the Norton Removal Tool and run it...then try re-installing your SSR trial version.  OTOH, if you have Ghost15, then you may wish to investigate the workaround activation procedure I mentioned earlier.

Tiger_lcf
Level 2

I agree with R4748

Having been in IT for 40 years and a programmer for most of them, you BETTER be able to give the people above you an estimate when program changes will be completed. I found it better to give an estimate longer than you thought and come in earlier than the other way. Symantec needs to give an expected date upgrade to Windows 10 capability will be available. Is it 1 month, 6 months, a year? I'm already testing compatible backup software because there is NO estimate as when I can convert the primary partition on 2 computers to Windows 10 and run Symantec System Recovery.

PS I have had problems running 2013 R2 on Windows 7 and trying to restore a incremental backup of a Windows 10 partition.

Symantec the longer it takes the more customers you will lose!!

gardis
Level 4

Where are you Chris Riley with answers how we solve this? Many of us have paid big money for the software and that Windows 10 was released Symantec knew long time ago.

Thanks!

//Johannes  

Malc
Level 1

See Chris's post of 31 Jul 2015 when he said he would be out of the office for 10 days.

Bill_G_
Not applicable

Thanks to CJM for the tip about compatibility mode.

To Symantec: This really is unacceptable that Symantec isn't supporting Windows 10. Will Symantec be extending my three years of software support to cover the period when it wasn't supported?

Doug3909
Level 3

Bill G. I agree with you 100% on your Symantec comment! The silence speaks volumes!

They just don't care!

Looking at 70% of the post on Symantic page I noticed it was mainly Chris answering.

This must be his job writing some replies that are meaning less.

criley
Employee Accredited

Update for everyone ...

We are looking at providing a fix for the license issue. This is the only information I have at present. However, I'll update you all when more details become available.

tmodel46
Level 3

Thanks for this update.

Doug3909
Level 3

Chris,

Can you have your guys look into this issue and tell me what is going on?

I just notice it fixed my license issue but now i can not see any drives to backup??

And seeing the following message. 

"Can not successfully reconcile changes since last session"

criley
Employee Accredited

Do you still see the issue after rebooting the machine?

If yes, what if you reverse the changes you made - does that help or not?

DABU
Not applicable

If not soon - time to buy another product...

monsieurms
Level 4

That's great, but truthfully it is not quite as urgent as I once thought. I notice that the laptop "license nag" to activate ALWAYS says "60 days remaining." It never counts down. So, I guess it isn't expiring any time soon. :) Let us know what to do eventually, though, since I would much prefer to upgrade to something designed for Win10.

Doug3909
Level 3

Chis

switching it back i end up with both issues "license key issue" and "Can not successfully reconcile changes since last session".

I think the real issue is when i  open Symantec System Recovery 2013 R2 its not find any drives! 

Heres the event log information

Error EC8F1780: Cannot successfully reconcile changes since last session.
    Error EC8F1771: Cannot enumerate the current drives on this system.
        Error E0BB0147: The operation 'Snap Volume' is not currently enabled for this Volume. (UMI:V-281-3215-6016)

Details: 
Source: Symantec System Recovery

Doug3909
Level 3

It appears,  I got it working.

So frustrating!

Gonad
Level 4

Doug,

You may think that you got it working but wait until you try restoring some files!

Using R2 here with Windows 10 and everything seemed to be working fine.

Backups were working and verifying OK and then I tried restoring some EFS encrypted files.

Usually the way to restore EFS files is to mount the backup image as a drive and then copy and paste the files you want to recover.

However, when I try this, it fails every time and I get a message "Invalid MS-DOS Function"

Non-encrypted files restore OK.

Just thought I'd point this out to everyone who like me thought everything was fine and that SSR probably works OK even though it's not officially supported.

aoxomoxoa
Level 3

@Gonad,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

This is one of the reasons why Symantec has to take care of SSR 2013 way out before Windows 10 has been officially released. In case Symantec just started updating and testing SSR 2013 just from the official launch of Windows 10 a quick fix can't be expected for such a complicated product.

We (the users of SSR) are not equipped to find out what's reliable and and what isn't. There is (or should I say was?) some very good reason why we paid for this product.

criley
Employee Accredited

The fix is expected towards the end of this week.

Some things to note:

1. The fix is ONLY for the license issue
  2. Windows 10 is still not officially supported - that will come later in the next service pack
  3. You will need to open up a support case (if not already done) to get the fix

Any questions, please ask..

MchBr
Level 3

I follow thisthread with great interest, I have used the work-around by cjm and helped me to get may backup running again. But what confuses me ist the fact that SSR 2013 seems to behave quite differently on various sytems.
To give you an example: some report that the test period does not count down; this was the case on my own sytem for about two or three days, then it started to count down. THis was the trigger to test cjm's work-around.

Some do not see their drives, others report no problems.....

This gives me personally a 'bad feeling', software should 'behave' consistently. 

Chris: Do we really all need to open a 'case' to get the fix for the license issue? What about those that have used the compatability work-around, should they install the fix as well or can we wait until the next larger fix package is out?

Best regards

Michael

criley
Employee Accredited

I've tested this myself and did not see any errors at all. However, I only copied a single encrypted file.

Do you only see the error when copying multiple encrypted files for example?

criley
Employee Accredited

Chris: Do we really all need to open a 'case' to get the fix for the license issue? What about those that have used the compatability work-around, should they install the fix as well or can we wait until the next larger fix package is out?

Yes, we'll need a support case. This is because it's a 'private' fix (it won't be available in any public-facing TechNote or on LiveUpdate).

Regarding the workaround that someone found, it's entirely up to the individual what they prefer to do. Personally I would recommend using the fix that we will be providing because we (Symantec/Veritas) cannot validate the workaround (it may have some unknown side effects).